Need help deciding which floor...

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Robin

Well, I've finally gotten started with my home improvement projects - I just got tired of thinking about it and talking about it, so I went to Lowe's Saturday!

I'm getting started in our guest bathroom, which is my daughter's bathroom. It has sheet vinyl, with one tear in it. I am ripping out the fake wood vanity and installing a new vanity, vanity top, and a linen cabinet. But first I need to install a new floor.

At first, I was all for installing the Novalis vinyl stick-on squares. Now I'm not sure. The only ones they had Saturday in the 12x12 size were cheap looking. The bigger ones, 18x18, were much nicer, but being this is a small bathroom, I'm not sure the 18x18 squares would look right.

And I'm not sure it's a good idea, anyway, considering I'd have to put them down over the vinyl. I'm still worried about any water getting between the tiles. Will that mildew?

So I'd decided on vinyl sheet, but my husband and I are not the diy kind. It will be enough of a challenge to rip out the old vanity and install the new stuff I bought. And we will need some actual wood baseboards - you should see this stuff they put in our mh! And I want new trim at the roof - now we have none.

I need help deciding!!! What kind of floor should I go with? I know the vinyl squares would be much easier to install, but I don't want to have a problem with them 5 years down the road and have to rip that out and re-do. Should I hire somebody to put down vinyl sheet? HELP!!!!!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Robin,

If you and your husband are not the DIY type, it may be best to hire a flooring guy to install sheet vinyl. It is not difficult to do, but there is a lot that experience can do to get the best job. Of course the quality of the finished product is dependent on the installer.

If it were me installing the vinyl, I would want to use an underlayment to be sure the old tiles do not create a problem down the road. The toilet would need to be pulled and reset and the toilet flange should be raised to the top of the underlayment. All floor trim would be removed and the new vinyl cut to 1/8" of the wall. Then new floor base would be used to cover the cut edge of the vinyl. Doing the job right would increase the cost of the new flooring.

The new vinyl could be laid without underlayment or moving the flange, but if you are looking for the best, longest lasting floor job, I would do as described above. But it would be cheaper to use an embossing leveler over the existing floor and install sheet or tile vinyl over that. I am not a proponent of peel-n-stick tile.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
curlylocks

The novalis vinyl planks are very easy to work with, if you would like a wood look floor, I have had mine down for @ 6 mths and they are holding up excellent.. and can withstand the nails of a chow who like to run all aorund the livingroom!
Sylvia

We have the 18 x 18 novalis in a very small bathroom and it looks great! If you like it, go for it. It's great stuff.
Yanita

Hi,

Using a larger tile in a small room makes the room appear larger, using the smaller tile in a small room makes the room look busy, hence smaller.

I personally have had great luck with the Novalis. Although if you have children using the full sheet vinyl would be my recommendation.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robin

I went with vinyl sheet. It's such a small bathroom, it didn't take much.

I'll post pictures of our completed project as soon as we're done. We ran into a snag or two.

I got my vanity and top from Lowe's. It's fine, just really tall. I don't think I've even seen a taller vanity. But I like it.

I also bought a matching linen cabinet from Lowe's, and when we finally opened it Saturday evening, about 4 pieces were broken. After seeing the way it was made, I decided to take it back and get my money back. I plan on doing that one evening this week, but it rained all weekend, so we were stuck with it for the time being. I think I'll try to find an unfinished wood cabinet, instead.

So that's where we are with this bathroom project. Since the vanity was so much taller, the drain line was too short - hubby had to fix that. Then the water lines didn't reach the faucet - after 2 trips to the home improvement store, he fixed that, too.

The floor is actually great, but we did not glue it down - the other floor we removed was not glued, thankfully. We may go back and put some glue under the edges, just for my peace of mind!