1994 Nordyne quick fix?

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mtnhomenc

Hello,
I have a question about my heat pump, please.
In June the cooling failed & I called a tech to come out. He said 2 things were wrong, the defrost board was bad & I needed a little freon. To replace the board was going to cost me over $300.00, a LOT of money to a retired person on a very fixed income AND on Chemo. The grandkids had just arrived for a month & it was HOT in here! The tech said he could bypass something (?) to get me cool again, but before winter I'd HAVE to replace that board & NOT to try the heat AT ALL. Cost was a little over $100.00 & he said he'd get back to me on the actual cost of that defrost board, maybe find one less expensive. Bless him, he was great, but he didn't get back to me.
My question is, now that we're heading into winter (temps down in the 20s at night, 40s & 50s days) can the quick fix be reversed by a tech so I can get heat (it was 58 in here this morning) or do I HAVE to now replace the board to have heat?
The tech that came out couldn't believe how good a shape overall my unit is in & said he wouldn't dream of replacing it since my electric bill on the worst month never goes over $110.00 to $120.00 in a total electric home.
Help?
And thank you in advance for ANY info you can give me.
Yanita

Hi,

I am going to move this post to the HVAC forum. Please read the posting instructions for that forum, include the answers in your post. This will help the Techs answer you quicker.

Welcome to the site!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!