HEAT TAPE

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NancyKay

I was told last winter, by the guys who came to thaw my frozen pipes, that my heat tape was not working. They gave me an estimate of $185 I think. And I thought that was high, but who am I to know. So I just called another place, that comes around and puts flyers on our doors, how much to install heat tape. He said $339! Are you crazy? I've seen heat tape that is about $35 and isn't it just a matter of wrapping it around the correct pipes and plugging it in? I do want an experienced person to do it, and I'll probably call back the guy with the $185 estimate, but geeze....is that really what it costs?? I'm in Michigan, with a 1971 single wide... 12x65.
Yanita

Hi NancyKay,

Long time no see!

Anyways, just checked your profile again, LOL, "single girlie who doesn't fix stuff herself"

With that said, do you have a Friend that would be willing to do this, this is nothing that requires a "professional" install just a correct install. To my understanding heat tapes come with instructions or we have them here on site!.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
NancyKay

Hi Yanita....I do have both a friend and a brother who are willing to do it....And they have both told me it's fairly simple, though they've never done it before! I think I may just be brave and let them try. The old stuff is still there, so they could just see where that was/goes.... and just remove it and put on the new. I guess I worry too much, but it's got to be done and soon.....winter's coming! Could there be any major problems if it's done wrong? Or only that your pipes could freeze?
NancyKay
Yanita

Hi Nancy Kay,

As I said look in the articles section here on site, scroll to the bottom and you will will see "How to select and install a heat tape".

Have a great day!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Archie

Not to scare you but yes there could be a serious problem if done wrong.

You need to make sure that you follow the manufacturers directions that comes with the heat tape. If you are getting it by the foot at a mobile home parts store than please ask them for installation tips.

The reason I stress this is because some heat tapes run parrellel to the pipe while others wrap around it. Some heat tapes can be crossed with no problems while crossing others may short them out or shorten there life span.

Probably the biggest thing to be sure of is what kind of pipe insulation you can use with it. Some heat tapes require that you only use a fiberglass wrap insulation and not the foam pipe stuff because of a fire hazard yet some tapes will allow either.

Hope this helps some.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
NancyKay

Hi Archie. The tape I was probably going to get is from Lowes. It says, "Install straight on pipe, no spiraling requred on most size pipes." I do know your not supposed to overlap it on itself, that could be dangerous. And it says Built in thermostat automatically turns cable on and off based on pipe temperature. I posted a picture of it in my gallery. It says Easy Heat Water pipe Heating CABLE with thermostat. I thought this would be ok, though not purchased from an actual mobile home supply store. My old tape is the spiral kind. I've lived here about 4 years, so I don't know how old it was before that. But last winter my pipes froze and it cost over $100 to have them come and thaw them. I don't want that to happen again!

I guess I'm one of those people who sometimes get paranoid that a fire will happen when I'm not home, so anything electrial makes me nervous. And like I'm always checking the knobs on my stove when I leave in the morning to make sure it's off, even if I didn't use it!
NancyKay
NancyKay

Oh, and also when I have looked under there, I think the insulation over the pipes is that black styro foamee looking kind that is like long, and has a split where it fits over the pipe. I'll have to read the Heat cable package to see if I can put that same kind back over the new.
NancyKay
Archie

This my own personal opinion but I am not a big fan of the heat tapes the home stores sell. I have first hand experience changing the ones Menards sells because the thermostat would not turn the heat tape on. Sure it would work fine when you tested it but sure enough, when it got cold out, pipes froze.

The braided metal heat tapes that are sold from mobile home stores may cost a bit more but I find that they last several years longer, are much more reliable, and also have a circuit protection device much like a surge protector or ground fault outlet.

This is definately one of those "you get what you pay for deals". A couple dollars more now may save a big headache later.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
NancyKay

I'll gladly pay a few bucks more for better, though I'm not sure where a mobile home place/store is in my area. I know there is one that has hot water tanks and steps and larger items like furnance parts, I'll call them tonight and see if they have heat tape.
NancyKay

I agree with what Archie recommends, but with winter fast approaching time is also a factor. While braided heat tape might be a superior choice and are known to last longer, I think the heat tape you have will be more than adequate. I also think it is much easier for a novice to install. Just remember to check the packaging and do not use the tubular foam insulation if wrapped fiberglass is recommended by the manufacturer. Follow the instructions exactly and you should have no trouble. I use the type of heat tape you purchased and have never had a problem. The trick is to not try to get too much longevity out of it. Replace it with a new one in 5 or 6 years BEFORE it has a chance to quit on you in the middle of winter. Good luck.
NancyKay

Thank you to everyone. I'll post again when I get it installed!
NancyKay

I install heat tapes all the time, I get 225 I live in new york. There is a certain way to do them, just read the instructions and if you dont mind crawling under neath your house then you can do it for a reasonable amount yourself otherwise thats what you will have to pay to have someone who will crawl under your house. Some plumbers and electricians make more than doctors its just too bad they dont have isurance companies to bill for their services. :D , it is a specialty that I have seen a lot of people try to do themselves only to find out they, in the end need to call a professional. I pay about 1.70 per foot plus the plug which costs about 15. I am sure you could do ok with it.