South Dakota Holiday

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Mark
Site Admin

Hi everyone,

This weekend is practically a holiday for South Dakota -- pheasant hunting opener. So heading out this weekend to the family ranch for some hunting. The ranch also bring in a few paid hunters.

I'm not a huge fan of hunting, but it's nice to get out. Sometimes I leave the gun in the pickup and just bring my camera. The photos on my family's hunting website are some that I took: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/pheasanthunting.html

That reminds me -- need to get online and buy a hunting license.

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fail if you don't try!
hvac1000

It is wild turkey around here. We are actually overloaded with turkey and deer and they should be thinned out as they can cause car accidents from being in the road or running across it.

Do not forget that permit or license. Down at camp I was under the impression that since I owned the land that river feeds the marina with was a no permit zone kind of like a lake. I was shocked this year to find out that you still have to have a fishing license to fish there. I talked the Indiana dept of natural recources out of giving people a ticket so it was not so bad. There is a 15 acre holding pond up on the hill that they can fish in without a permit.

Nice pictures enjoy the weekend.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Yanita

Hi,

Yup, hunting season here as well. My son knows first hand about deer and cars, had one run into the side of his car a few weeks ago..did alot of damage!

Had to call the police over the weekend about a hunter, don't know who he is but I certainly got a description of his truck and plate #. Now don't get me wrong I am all for hunting seasons..BUT...not when you park in the middle of the road and shoot across the road, across my driveway into the soybean field behind my home....as I am backing out of the driveway!

There is a herd of deer that live on the outer edge of the field, we found there resting spot, under a bunch of fallen trees. They have made a clear pathway to our pond where the drink. It's pretty cool to watch them.

They do not do any damage to the plants or trees that I have planted, they eat from the constantly planted fields, soybean, corn, peanuts...sure the farmers are not happy though, of yeah, they also invade the neighbors vast garden on occasion.

Good pics Mark, is there anything your family is not in business in, LOL?

Take care folks.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Mark
Site Admin

So Yanita, you don't like people shooting across your driveway, eh!

Too many deer around here too. So many its not much of a challenge to shoot. Bow hunting is getting real popular, and I wonder if its popularity is spured as a way to make deer hunting more challenging.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Hey Mark,

Nope not impressed at all with them firing from across the road across the driveway.

I see more dead deer on the side of the road than I do strapped to someones vehicle.

Here in NC a hunter can get 7 deer per season...no sport in hunting in NC, IMO. Hunters are allowed to use dogs for deer hunting. Where I am from that is cause for your dog to get shot!
Heck, stand out beside the water garden in the morning and you can shoot a deer here....

Have a good night,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!