Home Depot and Lowes

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Mark
Site Admin

". . .drag an employee by their orange apron strings . . ." -- that statement cracks me up! LOL

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Robert

Yep, me too, I about choked when I read that and pictured it,LOL.

:lol:

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JD
Site Admin

Both Lowe's and Home Depot here have self check out. I was thinking this was in the other areas too, but didn't hear it mentioned. That is the best thing either store has done. Swipe your card, scan your stuff and you're out of there. Getting out is a flash. I have also learned to go at the right times. 7-9 am or after 5:30 weekdays and never on weekends. Well that does not always happen but I try.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Mark
Site Admin

I too think the self-checkout is the greatest invention since slice bread. But Walmart may now be thinking otherwise. Our old Walmart had the self-checkouts and they rocked! Then they built a new Super Walmart, and no self checkouts!

Oddly, K-Mart was the first store in our town to get self-checkouts. But after they went bankrupt a few years back, they took them out. At the time, I thought the self-checkouts were an ingenious way of competing against Walmart, who at the time didn't have them. Then of course Sears bought out K-Mart, so now you can buy Craftsman tools at K-m-apart. I think its ironic.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
ImaDufus

Mark wrote:I too think the self-checkout is the greatest invention since slice bread. But Walmart may now be thinking otherwise. Our old Walmart had the self-checkouts and they rocked! Then they built a new Super Walmart, and no self checkouts!
The Walmart in St Petersburg we go to initiated a snake line with an automated announcement and visual screen serviced by 6 checkouts.

You get in the back of the line when you are ready to check out. There may be 30 or more people ahead of you. As each one of the checkers finishes with her customer the automated attendant announces something like "Next customer go to checker 17." Then a moment later the announcement says "Next customer go to checker 5."

This system works amazingly fast. The only problem is there is not enough space for everyone to stand in line. Eventually the line snakes its way out into the shopping area.
Yanita

Hey,

Lowe's vs Home Depot....from a NASCAR point of view HOME DEPOT all the way LOL.

I personally get good service at both of the stores local to me. I do not need alot of customer help at Lowe's...I know my way around the store well, and generally know what I want/need. In our stores customer service is not any different from one store to the other, they both have alot to be desired.

I personally shop Lowe's more often as they have a larger selection and the store seems to flow properly. HD, the store is much smaller, and does not flow well.

Store policies, Lowe's hands down...a few years back we went to purchase a larger generator...I had several questions I wanted answered before purchase, repairs, warranties etc...I was told by Home Depot...you buy it, you own it, if it breaks you have to ship it to the manufacturer. Also could not seem to locate an employee that knew anymore about generators than I did. Lowe's on the other hand took down the one I was interested in, explained all the features, gave some helpful hints, AND, if the unit should break down, just bring it back to the store! SOLD!

Self check outs at either store is not an option...Lowe's takes forever, yet HD seems to have better cashiers! Plants, HD hands down, Lowe's doesn't have a clue...6 of one half a dozen of the other with these stores.

BUT, when I exit Lowe's Jimmie Johnson's life size card board cut out is at the exit...I get the satisfaction of sneering at it!

Have a great day!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
NancyKay

I remember over 10 years ago, near my place we had a Home Quarters....I don't think there are any around anymore, anyway, I was returning a nice motion sensor brass porch light I got for my birthday, I found an apartment and was moving from my house. I didn't have the receipt, (though their price sticker was on the box,) it was a gift from my mom, anyway, they asked when I purchased it, I said I didnt' know when it was purchased, my birthday was a couple weeks prior, so I said a few week ago. So they proceeded to tell me they will have to keep it, check their records to see when it was purchased, and gave me a reciept stating they had it, and I left. Confused, but thought oh well. ????

Anyway, about a week goes by, I hear nothing.....So I call and inqure, and they say they found no record of it being purchased there. So after arguing with them a few minutes, I said well forget it, I'll just come back and get it, thinking someone else in my family can use it or whatever. And they wouldn't give it back!

They wouldn't refund my money, or give me the light back! I said what the heck is this! I don't have the reciept, so you think I stole it?? Like I'm going to hide this big box with a brass porch light in it under my coat or something?? So I sent them a certified letter, saying I was going to call Ruth to the Rescue, which is a television reported who you call in your problems to....and sue or raise hell basically, all over this dumb porch light.

But geeze...I NEVER heard of a place not giving a refund AND keeping the item you wanted to return!
NancyKay