Heat elements running with a/c help...

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Fuzzdobber

Im working on a Intertherm e2eh furnace with a nordyne 624-5680 a/c heatpump relay and a 4 wire thermostat. I have plenty of experiance in havc but stumped on this one after following(proper) installation according to wiring diagram to a tee. Heres the problem I'm having...
Unit runs fine in a/c mode but when connected to w/e as shown in schematic heat will not work. If connected to w2 heat will work perfect but when in ac mode strips come on as well. I have tried different thermostat and control board is new. I do have a 4 wire t stat where as the schematic calls for a 5 wire the difference is the 5 wire has a red hot and red common tied together. the 4 wire should do the same thing right? :shock:
Robert

Hi,

Is the t-stat for a heat pump ? Is it programmable ? With all systems working, sounds like either a miswire or wrong t-stat.

I'll look over your inquiry more tomorrow evening and see if anything jumps out at me.

If anything changes, please give us an update.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Fuzzdobber

First off thanks for the reply.
Let me run this by you...what if I get a norm. open 24 volt relay and tie my common and yellow for my incomming power, and my white from my t-stat to one side of n/o with the other side going to my w2? That should switch my relay to n/c when in ac mode blocking my 24 volts going to my strips as well as when the t-stat is set in heat allow my strips to come on being that it is a norm. open relay correct?
Robert

What is the Condenser Model Number ?

Is the t-stat for a Heat Pump ?

Is it programmable ?

Do you have an outdoor t-stat for Condenser unit ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Fuzzdobber

I dont have the mod # right off just an ole goodman straight ac condencer, the t-stat is not a heat pump t, the trailer is a repo and i believe it originally had a heat pump condencer. ya think I could take care of it with the right t-stat or would the relay be more promising?
Robert

Hi,

The Red Hot is Power Heating connection.

The Red Common is Power Cooling.

R=Power

H= Heating

C= Cooling

They would be jumpered in a 5 wire due to only 1 transformer.

The 4 wire a/c heat pump relay box you have is same as the relay you asked about IF wired correctly.

Can you send me a pic of schematic or a pic of the terminal hook-ups at top of relay control box ?

The board takes the place of the relay.

You're hooking to heat pump terminals which is not correct.

If you can't send pic, what are the letter designations at top of board ?

The only component in the switching circuit for a/c will be the relay board you have or a blower relay.

The switching component for heating is down in bottom furnace control box. It is an electric heating sequencer.

Thanks,
Robert
Fuzzdobber

The board is set up as follows...,
r,c,y,o,w2,we,g when i run my strips to w2 they work fine in heat but when in cooling both a/c and strips run. On the other hand when hooked to w.e, a/c runs with no strips but the strips wont come on when calling for just heat. Schematic calls for heat to connect to w.e.
I have went in and rewired everything, as well as this is a new a/c control relay box due to the original was fried (im guessing due to this problem).
Robert

Hi,

Your problem lies in that you have a heat pump relay control and are wiring accordingly and the unit is not a heat pump.

You can look at wiring diagram for the furnace (heat) only and wire that part.

Then get a blower relay and install it and wire a/c side between t-stat, blower relay, transformer and outdoor condenser.

Otherwise, you'll need a 4-5 wire a/c control box and wire it correctly from there.

Thanks,
Robert
Fuzzdobber

Heres the schematics....The one with the squiggly line is the one Im lookin into...
Robert

Nothing there. However, this is a staright wire up for one straight a/c and one electric furnace.

As stated above, what is needed was listed for the way to wire it.

If this is confusing, please have a Tech come out and assist with it.

You cannot use the heat pump relay and heat pump schematic to wire a unit that is not a heat pump.

Wire the furnace only for heat side.

Then, either get a blower relay and 24V 40VA transformer or a 4 wire a/c control box and wire the t-stat through the furnace to the outside condenser for a/c.

T-stat and blower relay run a/c side.

T-stat and sequencer run the heat side.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert