VOG WALLS w/batten strips

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bsfisher

Batton or No Batton That is the question :?: :?

we just purchased our first MH (98' Clayton 16x72 4br2ba) It is totally empty with flooring removed and we need to paint EVERY ROOM ugly VOG (vinyl on gypsum) w/batten strips. (Do they even make a solid color VOG?? ) :? :roll:

Can I just leave the batten strips on prep clean/prime/paint the VOG walls? if so I'd like to see some pics from others with painted batten strip walls rather than smooth. :lol: :D

I don't want to take the time to remove all the batten strips and hang liner paper nor do I not want to remove batten strips and mud/sand/mud/sand

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FTMHO (First Time Mobile Home Owner)
FTMHO (first time MH Owner)
Yanita

Hi,

Its a matter of personal choice. You have the steps down as to what needs to happen if you remove the battens. If your home shifts slightly in the winter you might consider leaving the battens in place.

Wall board has a slight texture to it. I have never found a technique that really matches that texture, therefore every seam is more noticeable.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
bsfisher

Yanita wrote:Hi,

Its a matter of personal choice. You have the steps down as to what needs to happen if you remove the battens. If your home shifts slightly in the winter you might consider leaving the battens in place.

Wall board has a slight texture to it. I have never found a technique that really matches that texture, therefore every seam is more noticeable.

Yanita
Texture is fine.....We don't know about shifting yet as we have not had it moved and set, which once set we will start painting. The Park owner/crew said they will pour footings to set it on to prevent shifting, I'm thinking to save time and energy we will just clean/prime/paint over the battons and then after the home has set a few years we can try the smooth look with removing battons and adding liner paper. THANKS !!! ~Scott Fisher
FTMHO (first time MH Owner)
Harry

Hi

For painting I would wash the walls with TSP, follow the instructions. Let dry completely prime with 2 coats of Kilz Premium. Let each coat dry then paint with interior latex.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
WildIrish

bsfisher wrote:if so I'd like to see some pics from others with painted batten strip walls rather than smooth. :lol: :D
Here ya go!

Look behind the picture, and you can see the texture of the original paneling...and a batten!

This is just a plain wall, with the paneling/battens visible:

The previous owners did the painting. There are other rooms which we're going to paint, and we plan to leave the battens, as they did. From what I read on this forum, the battens are there for a reason. :)

Hope these images are what you're looking for.

WildIrish
another FTMHO :D
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]
Yanita

Hi,

Clarification here.

When you have wallboard on your walls those have a slight texture to them. When/if you remove the battens and fill with caulk, tape/mud or whatever your choice you will know have a flat, none textured seam where the batten was. The only way I know of not to have that seam show under these conditions is to do a skim coat of sheetrock mud on the entire wall.

I have the paneled walls, not the wallboard walls, thankfully my panelling does not have the batten strips.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!