temperature of heat in the winter

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

betty

What is the min. that you can put your heating at in the winter so that pipes or flooring isn't soo cold?? I thought I saw/read somewhere 65, that seems high to be the lowest? I do have an old trailer though, I dont know if that makes a difference (1973)? thanks.
Greg

I think that depends on who you ask. A scientist will tell you 33*, My wife will tell you 75*, So I guess it's what ever you are comfortable with.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
betty

I'm just asking for when I'm not home... at work... etc... just not here & trying to conserve my propane, I'd like to have it in the 70s while I'm home but I keep it at 67 & use a robe & blankets all day & night to stay warm :( but of course my floor at that temp is unfornately cold... but I just need to know at what temp. is the min. I can SAFELY keep it at when I'm not home without anything freezing underneath in the dead of winter???
Greg

I have heard of people dropping it down to 50, but I question any savings due to the amount of energy needed to bring the temperature back up. I would say keep it to where ever you are comfortable, Personally I don't think I would go much lower than 65.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jpingram5

As low as your thermostat lets you! But personally 65 is the lowest I would leave for when I am not around. Sometimes setting it really low thinking your going to save isn't how it always works out. Unless your are going to leave it set at 65 for the season. Everything in your home will absorb the cold and this will make your heater run longer when you are in the house. A safe bet would be to place a little digital thermometer in the belly and see what your temp differences are between that and the thermostat.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80