Solar panel

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

kashton

I have seen the design for the solar panel. I would like to know if anyone has ever tried something like that to heat water( say for like a pool that is freezing cold).

I was thinking of trying something like that, but using the huge pumps from my aquarium to circulate the water to the panel, since water only moves on a down slope.

Can someone reply with advise or anything that could help, or discourage me from even trying this.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
hvac1000

Many years ago I was on a service call. I just happened to look up on this mans roof and saw a bunch of standard lawn watering hose. I questioned the home owner about this and he said they used the hose on the roof to help heat the water in the swimming pool. He said it worked well for what it was.

On the other hand I believe a roof is sacred territory. I try not to disturb anything or even walk on a roof unless absolutely necessary due to the damage that can be caused.

If I am not mistaken Mark has a solar heating system on his house. Could be he will chime in and have some info for you.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
kashton

I agree about the roof. Don't want anything up there. Thats why I'm thinking of maybe a panel mounted on something closer to the ground, with maybe black hose or pipe running through. The panel would help heat the pipe or hose, with the water running through. Could have the panel facing more upward, with a pump more capable of moving the water than the one with the pool. Wouldn't want the water running too fast though, or no time to warm it.

I realize it would still take a fair amount of time to warm the amount of water, but do you think this is even feasible, or am I losing my marbles.
Jim from Canada

I have seen a few systems like this that work quite well. Some on shed roofs some on their own panel. Most used black plastic utility pipe. Just a big spiral of it on a black background and have it facing the sun. The regular pool pump circulates it through the utility pipe after the filter and then it goes to the pool.

Jim
kashton

I would like to mount it to the shed, but wouldn't get the sun cause of the trees. Would have to make something to mount it to that could be moved if needed.

I really need to know what I'm gonna try first. I was gonna put a black tarp over the pool, but decided against it cause the top ring would probably burst if it got to hot. I don't know. I'm lost on this one. All I know, it's a waist to have it up if it is too cold to go into. Warms up a bit during the day, but nights are still cooler than average.

I think I'll try a panel with black pipe running through it. Make a sort of table for it to set on, that can be moved when the sun moves.
happysmyly

I've been looking at several options to heat water (for our pool) and 'pre-heat' water for a radiant floor system--too busy right now to build them... that's what I'm doing this fall (hopefully).
I have found the best ideas and step by step instructions on builditsolar.com--there are tons of DIY ideas that will get your brain going. I'm sure you'll find lots of info there--I have.
Good luck - please post what you end up trying and how it works. Thanks!!
:)
kashton

Thanks happysmyly. This sould help me alot. If it ever stops raining I'll let you know what I've tried.
Mark
Site Admin

I think solar-heated water for swimming pools is ideal. But for homes, especially homes in Canada, I don't think its a good idea at all.

If you live where its cold 6-months out of the year, you won't be able to use straight water in your system for risk of it freezing and causing expensive damage. You'll have to use a solution that won't freeze, then have a system of transferring that heat to water.

Now, if I was heating my whole home with hot water wether its a heated floor or registers, then I may consider a year-around solar water heater. Otherwise its not worth the expense or hassle.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
kashton

Sorry Mark, should have specified that the pool comes down in the winter. What I use to heat the water would only be used in the summer, and just to keep the water bearable to get into.

Since the pool is in part of the yard that gets part shade in the afternoon, it doesn't get as warm, and our nights are still getting way below average for this time of year, so the water cools way faster.

I found that the solar covers for these pools are a total waste of money.
Gary Gary

Hi,

Solar heating works really well for pools. The collectors can be simple and cheap because in the summer the air temperatures are warm and the heat losses from a simple collector are low.

Lots of info on various types (homemade and commercial) collectors on my site here:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Po ... eating.htm

Some things to think about:
- A pool cover -- this can cut the pool heat loss in half. If the pool is in the sun, use a solar cover which will allow the pool to still collector solar heat and cut the heat loss.

- Note the guide on pool heating from Natural Resources Canada -- its quite good.

- You mentioned putting black pipe in a glazed box. I don't think that glazing is worth it for pool collectors -- when the air is warm the collector will actually do better without the glazing than with it.
Most commercial pool collectors are unglazed.

- Two simple home made collectors.
1) just get black plastic poly pipe and spread it out on any surface that gets good sun. Pump the pool water through it using the pool pump. this works pretty well, but does require a lot of pipe.

2) I have been working on a simple trickle down collector that costs only about $1 per sqft -- I still consider it in the "experimental" category, but I think that it does work well, and the measured efficiency is about the same as commercial collectors -- details here:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Po ... olHeat.htm

Gary