Newest elect bill

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Suzque49

We got our first "official" (finally recoginized by Edison for having solar) electric bill, it was just $1.27 :D for "service charges" They keep track of actual usage and we will get billed at the end of the year.
The panels were not working for over half of last month due to the meter being wired backwards, which I dont understand because it was working and producing electricity for the previous 2 months (until Edison came and checked it out and appvoved the installation). Even at that our usage went from 64kwh a day to 33kwh a day.
When the solar company came to fix it the technician did not understand it either, but he said our system was producing a lot more then other systems he has seen. So next month when we are officially on a full month of just solar service, we will see what it is.
Susan
Greg

As long as it can cover your usage, great, any extra is just gravy! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

Wow your service charges are incredibly low. We pay nearly $40/month just as a delivery charge.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Suzque49

We haven't gotten a bill this month, but it was just $1.07 last month. the acutal power usage was $168.00, we had very rainy and cloudy days, so production was a little lower.
The Govenor signed a bill at the end of last year that elect companies now have to pay for the electricity produced by our system, over our actual usage, at the same rate they charge customers for, previously it was just gratis for them.
What size is your solar system? I think ours is somewhere around 7.7Kw (?). I know it covers an area of 11ft by 60ft.
Susan
Greg S

Although I have considered solar the savings do not make the initial investment worth while at this point in time. The pay back time is far too long.
In addition the government incentives and requirements for Hydro companies to buy back, in our area, are not adequate enough to warrant the investment (at this time) in my opinion.
On average we use $250/month in hydro and a descent system would cost tens of thousands to replace that usage.
I prefer to concentrate on improvements with a 3-5 year pay back max. as I have no idea where I will be beyond 5 years.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)