Toyotomi Kerosene direct vent heaters

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

rickoliss

I have resently purchased a Lazer 56 w/ optional fuel tank, which is mobile home approved.
I have installed it and is currently running as my primary heat source for my 1000 cubic foot 24x40 double wide home here in upstate NY . $1700.00 dollars plus set up cost copper fuel ines filter etc.
In the past 2 weeks the unit has averaged 1 quart to less then half a gallon of kerosene per 24 hour cycle . thermostate set 68 degrees during the day and 63 at night
I also installed all brand new pella windows in my home ( thxs Greg for coming over and giiving instructions w/ removal an replacement ) :D
I was considering installing a outdoor wood stove on my property but the village would not allow it.
I do not wish to be subjected to any issues reguarding Suburban propane and there prices for propane service which I have used for the last 8 yrs there insane.
This was my only option and was approved by the code enforcement officer in are village as a heating appliance.
I do not recommend buying the optional fuel tank for $200.00 dollars as it is NOT the same drop in type fuel tank I had for my Kerosun 10,000 btu heater.
You must uncouple the fuel connection while the fuel tank is in the heater, the same as uncoupling a air gun from and air supply line.
I since have bought a used 40 gallon steel tank and stand that came off a refrigerated highway trailer and set it up on 3 ciderblock high platform so it gravity feeds the heater with a filter and shut off valves which is plumbed into the back of the heater.
http://www.toyotomiusa.com/products/Las ... eaters.php
Greg

Well Rick, I have used a Monitor 21 for almost 20 years now. Great system, the only thing to remember is in sub zero temperatures you may still need to run the furnace to keep the plumbing warm under the floor. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

How expensive is kerosene up there?

Last year I was looking at some portable kerosene heaters, and the fuel was about $8 per gallon. Rediculous!
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

Arron, these are not portable heaters, they are a mini furnace, installed with an exhaust and outside air intake. Greg
flcruising

Oh, I know, but the fuel is still the same. I was just wondering if it was that much cheaper in NY for kerosene.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

It's running $3.00 +/- at the pumps, if you have a large tank and have it delivered it used to be a little cheaper but I have not bought any that way in a few years. Greg
rickoliss

Greg so if I understand this correctly, my plumbing hot/cold water lines run ajacent to my duct work under the floor and are bascialy non insulated and reguire heat from the duct work to prevent freaze up problems. Prior to having this installed, we used a portable 10,600 btu kerosene heater,as a secoundary heat sorce and would shut down the kerosene heater when we went to bed but relite it in the mourning and some times it ran all mouring since I was laid off and at home during the woorst winter conditoins for the past 7 years.
I currently have the house furnace (propane set @ 60 degrees) and the set back thermastate set @ 63 degrees on the new heater... I am considering buying and installing one of the thermostate's that just kick the blower fan on at timed interveals from the store here and move the air from one room to another using the existing duct work think that would do the same thing.
It doesnt matter to me what kerosene costs ( with in reason) I was dead serious about purcashing an outdoor wood stove that would have cost me over $12,000.00 dollars in just the parts. I feel I have saved $10,000 dollars which can buy alot of kerosene plus the head aches of spliting wood, storing etc.
I also know some one who has a rough idea on how to repair my new heater if it should need it that lives close by.
Greg

We run our furnace when it gets around -15* to keep the pipes to the front bathroom from freezing. The Monitor 21 has no problems heating the home, but the area between the floor & the underbelly would have very little heat transfer. Possibly just running the blower may pick up warm air from the rooms and transfer through the ducts.

Your skirting & underbelly may be tight enough that it may not be a problem for you, I am going on what has happened to me. You can hear a partially frozen line when you turn the water on, then just run the furnace for 15 min. or so. Greg