Indoor Solar heat panel

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

allasky

I just discovered this website and stumbled across Marks solar heat panel project. I never realized how simple a project of this type would be. I am interested in knowing if I can alter one half section of my sliding glass doors to make an indoor panel. Would I just make a panel as for the outside but instead place it on the inside of my sliding glass door? If so the other question I have is would the low E glass in my sliding door make it not work as well as if it was outside?

Kathy A. :roll:
Stupid should hurt!
TheyCallMeDave

allasky wrote:I just discovered this website and stumbled across Marks solar heat panel project. I never realized how simple a project of this type would be. I am interested in knowing if I can alter one half section of my sliding glass doors to make an indoor panel. Would I just make a panel as for the outside but instead place it on the inside of my sliding glass door? If so the other question I have is would the low E glass in my sliding door make it not work as well as if it was outside?

Kathy A. :roll:
The low e glass is not favorable for Solar collection ; its designed to block out alot of the suns rays. You need plain glass ideally.
flcruising

As Dave mentioned, 'low-e' glass is designed to block the infared radiation (heat) that is emmited from warm objects and the sun. Solar heat collectors convert radiant heat into convective/conductive heat that is useable. Therefore the glass you have on your sliding doors will cause your solar collector to probably just become an expensive window shade.

Also, it is not ideal to block any existing window with a 'solar collector' since the goal is to gain heat. Opening the shade and letting in the sunlight would actually be more efficent.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]