Solar power roofing

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

JD
Site Admin

I came across this video while surfing around. Just seems like it is such a good idea. Almost everyone uses electricity and almost everyone has a roof. I wonder where the money break-even point would be. This would be like many mobile home re-roof products.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5306582056

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

I notice that the cost was left out. I wonder how well it would work with 18" of snow on it?? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hey JD,

Hubby and I just watched that video, unlike Greg we have many sunny days here, even in the winter. Wonder where you get more info on this...I would like to know the approx cost as well.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

That is too cool! Thanks for sharing.

Jim
PennylessZ28

You'd get it from United Solar Ovonic, a wholly owned subsidiary of Energy Conversion Devices, Inc.

They actually are installing some of their systems on habit for humanity homes.

Here are some product details, http://www.uni-solar.com/interior.asp?id=102

You will have to contact a distributor, I'd imagine, it's pricey.

I'll be installing a solar panel system this spring, but I am going with someone else.
Manitoba Bill

Just a little insight. I've been an avid watcher of everything solar beyond 1990 and have had working hot-air collectors since then. I have many magazines like Pop Science predicting the coming boom in solar cells and lower prices for 35 years. So far it hasn't boomed, maybe because we all want our power.

But I predict in about 3 years that there will be a great shift in cheaper solar and perhaps even incentives. In Canada there are no incentives for solar.

One thing I have noticed in the last few years is the number of days that my collectors are not running is becoming worse. Higher temps up here always mean cloudy days. However, even on cloudy days my PVC panel has kept my 12V battery fully charged.
And because our hydro is all from our northern rivers and just starting with wind-power, our rates are among the lowest and greenest on the continent.

For Yanita, I googled "solar shingles+Canada and came up with this site.
http://www.the-roofing-site.com/s/solar_roofing_systems
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Yanita

Hi,

Thanks for the link Pennyless. Hubby and I are really interested in something like this..BUT, I still worry about those hurricanes that come screaming thru and depositing limbs etc on the roof, although they are usually small limbs I still wonder how easily this stuff would puncture.

Hmmm, can not get an idea on prices unless you contact a rep ...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Yeah, there was no information on price and since that probably wasn't an overlooked item, I would imagine it is pretty pricey. They also mentioned that the solar collection film was over a stainless steel panel, which would be very expensive.

Just the fact that a product like this is being produced is very encouraging though. Innovation and design with the competition will lower costs. My hopes are with the products to come. This particular roof looks a bit more like a university science project yet.

I like reduced energy costs and I really like the whole "Green" concept, but the main draw to me is our petroleum dependency and national security. It just seems to me that if we were all using CFLs, all had some solar power generation, use petroleum alternatives, and reduce energy waste any way we could, we could greatly reduce the amount of money being sent to the Middle East and Venezuela.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.

Very interesting. Seem like in Calif and maybe in other states, looks like there is a big incentive to go green.

In Calif you only pay 50% of the overall system, while a renewable rebate program covers the remaining 50%. Even better you don't have to pay the rebate portion up front, only have to pay the 50% your responsible for.

Another benefit is you would receive a tax credit for $2100 for using renewable energy system install in your home from the state of California.

This person installed a 3600 watt system and was able to reduce his electricity bill by 77%.

It maybe very affordable after all these incentives. I doubt it though.