warming the house with a fireplace

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Trickey280

We have a 14 x 70. The 2 bedrooms are located at each end of the house. When we run the fireplace the bedrooms get extremely cold. What can we do to get the heat circulating that way?
Manitoba Bill

When I used my wood stove I placed a 12" fan on the floor in the bedroom doorway and on low speed I pushed the cold air near the floor towards the stove. I hung a string at the top of the doorway and you can see the warm air is moving near the ceiling and into the bedroom.

Depending on your mobile re; insulation, location, etc. some run the furnace fan to move air. Mark sells a thermo timer to cycle that fan.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
SpongeBob

HI Trickey,
IMO, a truly open fireplace does not offer much heat to the entire home unless you are directly in front of the firebox. A wood, pellet, coal, stove or fireplace insert does however eminate heat to the home. If you are a familiar with a smoke test (fake non-poisonous smoke) or even from a candle (be careful) you can actually see the smoke being sucked up the fireplace flue. I believe that is why your end rooms are as you describe much colder. A fireplace is great for a one room cabin or something similar. But, I believe they really extract most of the heat from the home. Hope this helped.
-Bob
NoDinero

Dump the fireplace and get a good wood burning or pellet stove.
IMO the fireplace wastes too much valuable fuel to do any good.
After I fixed my own furnace, removing the fireplace was the next thing I needed to do.
Next winter I will be prepared with alternative heat.
Steve
DavidW

I am planning on installing a chimneyless propane gas log firebox/fireplace.

There would be no loss of heat since there is no chimney.

30,000 - 35,000 BTU is not unusual for these type of gas logs.

I'm hoping to find an off-season special on one. A friend of mine bought the gas logs, firebox and an oak mantle for $150.00 on sale.

It works great heating a large sunroom.