Solar heaters under cloud cover

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

You are correct Greg, the prices have dropped considerably. Given the longevity of LED lighting and the enormous energy savings it would still be more economical in the long run. As LED technology progresses the prices will fall further and there will be more LED home lighting selection in all the stores. By then my CFL lights will probably be burnt out.

Mattbecca
archive

Hi mattbecca
unfortunately unless the sun is out they won't develope much heat. I am in Montana and built 3 of them, the first winter they worked great, the second winter we didn't see much sun so they didn't help much. so I scrapped that idea and moved into other areas to conserve and make power. They do help to reduce the annual heating bills, but wouldn't count on them working during storms. If they would i think everyone would have them

Hope this helps

JES
archive

As I said in the Hot Air 101 posting, it depends on the month to month sunlight, as Jes says.Since I first made my panels in 1990 I don't think I get as much sunlight. Milder weather north of 50 means cloudy days. My re-fit last fall has caused the collector to run on bright cloudy days and yesterday with 18F it was already overheating.
But I would never discourage anyone to experiment, having free hot air is great. Yesterday the furnace did not run all afternoon. Anybody to the south of me would benefit from milder temps. From now on until I have to cover the panel in late May, the amount of no furnace will climb.

Manitoba Bill