Thinking Perpetual Motion

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

Hi,

One big hinderance in solving the world's energy problems is the lack of time to really 'think.' At least that's my excuse. So while on the road this past Easter, I had a little thinking time.

Making a perpetual motion machine means making a machine that runs on its own power. According to science, that is not possible. So what about creating more types of machines that run day and night on natural perpetual motion sources? Many have already been made.

So what's a natural perpetual motion source? Let's see how many we can name.

WIND. Does the wind ever stop? No, not totally. Of course we already have wind chargers making lots of energy. What else could we make that wind would run?

WAVES. If you've ever been on the ocean, you know that no matter how calm it is, the waves never stop. Add even a small bit of wind and the waves become mighty powerful. Are there any machines that use waves to power themselves? Tides are also a thought.

EVAPORATION AND CONDENSATION. Day or night, evaporation and condensation happens non-stop. So why not a giant dome over a lake of water. The water evaporates and condenses on the dome. The water runs down to the sides and forms a stream of water as it comes back down into the pool below it. As the stream flows, it turns water wheels making power. Does anyone know how much water can evaporate from a square foot surface of water? I'm sure the temp has a lot to do with it.

STREAMS AND RIVERS: As long as there is rain or melting snow, the rivers will run. Maybe we need more water turbines in use. This kind of relates to evaporation and condensation.

GRAVITY: It's always there, always at the same force. Of course those who have tried to develop a perpetual motion machine use gravity or magnetism as the source of power.

MAGNETISM: About like gravity -- always there, always pulling.

HYDROGEN: Very abundant source of power. Gov't sources are spending money trying to develop its use.

With all these sources of natual power, oil should be a thing of the past. But it's not, so our heating bill keeps going up (unless your JES -- LOL) and we now look forward to $4 gas.

Am I missing any other natural 'perpetual motion' forces?

Mark
archive

You're only missing one that I can think of...

Geothermal energy........

The bottom line is this, all of these natural resources take the little guy, taking control over the big guys out there. This means sacrifices. Most folks aren't willing to do that. It's not real comfy... but it can be done! JES, is the perfect example of that!

Maureen
archive

Geothermal would be a good one. Temperature is constant down inside the earth. I know a couple people in the area looking to replace their corn stoves with a geothermal unit. Corn stoves are messy and require constant attention. Once a geothermal heat pump is installed, it's pretty much hassle free. But installation is dang spendy.

Mark
archive

Thinking of geo thermal. . . Do any of you who live along a body of water use geo thermal to cool? I can see throwing a bunch of tubing deep into a lake and letting the lake cool the liquid being pumped thru it. Gotta be cheaper than digging a big ole hole in the earth!

Mark
archive

Hi Mark and Maureen,
yes i have been able to keep my power bills at bay, But it takes work and sacrifice, we no longer live the life of luxury. most of the house is dark at night, we bought lower energy tv's and monitors and keep most appiances off the grid as much as possible. Now were faced with higher gasoline prices again, wednesday i will go down and get the parts to get my truck running again then its time to do some more experimenting. But my brain is working overtime trying to think of someway to survive.

JES