Bedroom painting project

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

We are going to embark on our first DIY project.

I went to Lowes and they told me to clean the walls with TSP or use amonia mixed in with some hot water and slightly sponge off any dust and dirt, let dry and then apply a primer.

After the primer dries apply the paint. I have to assume this is somewhat correct, like most manufactured homes we have a textured finish on the wall and what appears to be a glossy latex type paint applied as the original paint.

Any advice and suggestions or reccomendation are appreciated.

Thanks,

Fab
Canyon Country, CA.
Yanita

Hi,

If you have the glossy type walls then you have what we call wallboard, it is sheetrock with a vinyl coated wallpaper factory attached.

Yes, you got the proper instructions. Wash with tsp...

Have fun,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
busybee1952

Hi, I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth here. I painted the paneling in the master bedroom last year and made it into a sewing room. You can see the photos here.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... and-garden

I cleaned the walls with the tsp, then filled the grooves in of the paneling, primed, and painted. I think it turned out pretty good.
Susan

Busybee,

I just went through your album on the sewing room. Terrific job! You are very creative. If I send you a plane ticket will you come to my house? :P

Susan
busybee1952

Thanks Susan! You bet! I'd love to go to California! Can I come in say, February? LOL That's about the time I get really sick of Michigan. Seriously, if I can help with anything, I'd be glad to.
PennylessZ28

Don't forget to take pictures! :D