Master bedroom closet

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

opinion free

Hi All, new to this great site and was having an issue with the redesign of the bathroom in the master bedroom so I thought I'd share the solution I came up with.
The garden tub shared a common wall with the master bedroom and I didn't need the tub. Replacing the tub with a new one was going to be costly and I really needed the storage moreso than a giant tub I've never used. So I ripped it out, framed in the space (that was occupied by the tub) and opened a doorway into it from the bedroom. Now I have a new 6 by 6 foot walk in closet that cost less than $100.
cattus

Last edited by cattus on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mobile68

cattus wrote:Where did the rest of the bathroom go?
That's why it's called a "Water Closet" :)
JD
Site Admin

The rest of the bathroom should be able to go unscathed. There is usually a shower in the master bathroom with a garden tub. I have pulled many a garden tub for customers. I have turned them into closets, make-up counters and installed regular tubs. When I first them, they usually have plants or one of those accordion drying racks in the tub.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
cattus

Last edited by cattus on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opinion free

The master bedroom bath is rougly a 'square' shape at 12 x 13. The garden tub was 5 x 6. After the tub removal and framing in of the perimeter of the old tub, the bathroom became 'L' shaped.
The space that was occupied by the tub was widened a bit and became the almost 6 x 6 walk in closet. Because the bathroom is now 'L' shaped the toilet received the 'water closet' effect because it now rests in the private niche at the back of the 'L' shape behind the new closet. The shower pan was replaced with a 44 x 32 fiberglass one made by American Standard ( it's a nice solid one, not spongy). I chose to go with a solid shower pan and tile the walls of the shower stall instead of using on of the acrylic shower stall units. The rest of the bathroom is still awaiting the 2 new vanity sinks and the tile surround in the shower stall.
The best part was, since the tub had a common wall with the bedroom I was able to put the entry way into the closet from the bedroom and not have to enter the closet from inside the bathroom.
I am very proud to say that all of this work was done by me and then repaired or replaced by local professionals that appreciated my ideas but had serious questions regarding my skills. This experience is all taking place within a 1978 Golden West triple trailer.
Aaronjohn

The master bedroom is certainly a key room in any home, and the master closet that helps to make the rest of the space appear clean and organized.
Aaron John
www.247torontolocksmith.com
JD
Site Admin

To anyone replacing a shower basin or tub, I highly suggest getting one you can install with a "mud set". You could peel the foam off of the units that use them and go with a mud set, but would probably void any warranty. Just look up 'plastic tub mud set' with your choice of browser and you will have the full scoop. End result is, you feel like you are standing on tile or concrete. Really good for heavy folks. Replacing the particle board with 3/4 ply makes the whole thing practically a forever install.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.