Could use a little help with bathrooms

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

koolenuf

I live in a 2003 Schultz which is connected to a sewer system in mobile home park. I have two bathrooms the first one in the hallway has a fiberglass tub/shower unit. Where in the drain hole is is a metal plug which moves up and down to keep water in the tub or not. I believe it is this contraption that makes the water drain from the tub slower than molasses in January. Can this be removed by a plumber ?? In all honesty I would just a soon use a rubber stopper.
The second bathroom is off of my bedroom which has a free standing shower and a garden tub. The water in the shower drains very slow too although no metal plug just an opening with a metal screen screwed down over it. If I spend too much time in the shower the water has overflowed over the base lip of the shower onto the floor.
I'm unsure if these problems are with my plumbing or not. I don't seem to hear any complaints from my neighbors. Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

ps I have tried an trick from an old time plumber I knew which was to use vinegar to clear out any soap scum etc but that has not helped.
1987Commodore

I would think that the drains are plugged with hair, especially if the sinks and toilets work normally. I have to clean mine out annually. The drain can be replaced with another type if necessary, but probably just need a good cleaning. Try using a plunger on them. If that doesn't help, you may need to do some minor disassembly.
Greg

It sounds to me like there may be a blockage somewhere, I think I would have the plumber check it as long as he is there.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

I have to remove our shower screen every 3-6 months to pull out the soap scummy bundle of hair that gives you a foot bath like you describe. It is usually hanging to the screen by just a few hairs. When I waited too long, I had to snake it because the clog disconnected from the screen and slid down the pipe.

The stopper in your bath may have a set screw on the underside. If you stick your head down there, look underneath the stopper and maybe rotate it, you should see a place for an allen wrench or flat heat screwdriver.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

Some also use the end of the "Pivot lever" that goes into the tail stock to lock the stopper in. You may have to remove the lever first to remove the stopper, make sure to replace the lever or you will have a leak.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
koolenuf

Thank you all for your help. I will try everything you have recommended. By the way fcrusing I have plenty of flat heads seems men never borrow those. I was truly smart when I decided to keep my allen wrenches in my dining area hutch - why I have no idea but I have everyone LOL.