Kitchen sink dilemma

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Robin

It's times like these that I just shake my head, wishing I lived in a "regular" house. I have been working on a kitchen redo and now it's time to decide about sink and countertop. It was my wish to replace the SS sink with a black cast iron, but apparently it's impossible to find. Current sink measures 33x19. Anybody have any ideas? Regular size sinks are 33x22, just won't work. My heart is set on a new sink :(
Greg

"Regular house"??? That is one of the great things about a Mobile, you can make them anything you want with out much trouble.

Since you are planning a kitchen remodel do the cabinets also. If you do some homework & shopping you can replace ALL of you cabinets with QUALITY cabinets for under $1000. Then you can do what ever you want for your sink, new Stainless, Cast, Granite, Cement, the choice is your's.

You should also check and see if you can open up what you have now and fit it in.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robin

I should have said, "I'm on a very tight budget!!" LOL!! The first thing we did with our kitchen reno was paint all our cabinets and cabinet doors white. They look awesome. So at this point, I'm not even considering replacing any of our cabinets. Had I known I'd run into this trouble, I might have considered it. And after living in a MH since 1994, I should have known. Nothing is standard. I'll just keep looking. Hopefully I can post Before and AFter pics soon, I'm anxious for some feedback on how it turned out. I also put down vinyl tile and grouted it - it looks great!! With the hurricane coming this way, it's times like these I'm glad I live 3 feet off the ground, but at the same time, I do get aggravated trying to replace/upgrade things in our home, only to face time and again the complications from things not fitting.
Greg

I would check the measurements from under the sink, I know I did get a full size sink to fit before we remodeled. It did fill the space but it fit. You may get lucky!

Greg
HouseMedic

Greg wrote:I would check the measurements from under the sink, I know I did get a full size sink to fit before we remodeled. It did fill the space but it fit. You may get lucky!

Greg
Greg is right, Measure the depth of you counter top. Most are 25". If you have that you should be able to just use a saber/jig saw to make the opening larger. Just make sure to keep the front cut out back about an 1 1/2" from the front so it does not hit the cabinet. Also 22" is sometimes the full depth of the sing. The cutout might be around 20 to 21"s.

Ron
Robin

Hey that's a great idea! I will do exactly that, as soon as this hurricane is done and over with. It's kinda put a crimp in my renovation plans for the moment. A funny thing - I sent an email to the Kohler company explaining my dilemma - HINT HINT there is a market out here and a need that isn't being met. A lady just emailed me to say they don't make cast iron sinks that are 19 inches wide (no kidding!) and they also don't make any custom sizes. That's exactly what I told her. Very not helpful. I might have to start my own business, making cast iron sinks to fit in MH's ;)
flcruising

What is the reason that you can't cut the sink opening to the 'standard' size, are your cabinets not deep enough?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Robin

Yes that is the reason. My countertop measures 23 3/4 inches wide.
Greg

Ok so your countertop IS wide enough, did you check from under the counter? If the cabinet edges are wide enough it should fit, tight but you might be able to get it in.

Greg
Robin

No I am not really sure what I need to measure for. Is there a lip or ledge that the sink rests on?
Greg

There may be a cabinet edge that supports the counter in the way, that's why I say check from underneath the counter, If nothing's in the way you should be good to go. Try laying out the size with masking tape on the counter or make a cardboard template and see how it would fit

Greg
flcruising

A self-rimming sink has a lip on all sides that support the sink from the top of the counter. The actual hole for the sink is several inches smaller in both directions. If you can find the manufacturer installation guide, there will be a template you use to cut the hole. A 22" deep sink (front to back) should fit just fine on a 23 3/4" deep counter. Again, the critical dimension is the opening size; the finished size (including the rim) is just what you see from above.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
dedou

Hey Robin,
You might want to look at things not traditionally used as kitchen sinks as well. Some of the coolest remodels I've seen have used non-traditional materials and/or objects that the owner just loved or already had. I love the farmhouse sink look and someday I plan on using some sort of trough or other item as a new sink. Look around, you may see something that you can use that you might love even more than the black cast iron look.
Just a thought anyway - good luck!
Devon
Robin

My husband and I just installed this new sink 2 days ago. I am so excited to say, It Fits!!! :) He had to do a little cutting on the countertop to make it all work, but it fit and it really does look so great! As soon as my laminate guy comes and does my new laminate, I will take a pic and upload. But I really can't say enough of how beautiful this cast iron sink is. Thanks for all your input!
Greg

Glad to hear it!!, You're happy, that's all that matters.

Greg