Replacing floor vent covers

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

marriednamobile

Before we bought our house, the community was having someone paint the walls and replace the carpets, etc. The woman who was in charge of the 'remodel' was having a hard time finding the vent covers for the floor vents, I have seen them in Home Depot and Lowes and told her to just get them from there, and she said...
"you can't just buy them from a hardware store, they have to be special ones made for a mobile home."
I was stumped. Is this true? They're not an odd size, and I would like to get some more decorative ones, what is the harm in putting in stick built parts?
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
1987Commodore

Mine came from the hardware store, all you need to do is get the right size -- I think mine are 4"x10"
Greg

Floor registers are floor registers, if it fits, it works. Lowes has ones that fit our's even though we don't use the furnace.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
shanemjenkins

There is no reason you can not put typical floor vent covers from Lowes or Home Depot in a mobile home. If you go to one of my pages where I have picture of my bathroom remodel, you can see in the first picture that I replaced the vent cover. It is cast iron, I bought it from Lowes. In fact everything in that bathroom was bought at Lowes, Home Depot, Ebay, Amazon or local home improvement stores. I have yet to replace anything in my home with a product meant specifically for a mobile home. Everything from flooring, doors (interior & exterior), windows, walls & ceiling, light fixture, cabinets, sink, faucets, door knobs, floor vents, light switches, outlets, etc.... You name it, I have replaces it & NON of it was replaces with materials specifically made for mobile homes. All of it was bought at typical hardware/home improvement stores & I have not had any issues or problems with any of it.

https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/v ... f=8&t=9158
crackur

there is no harm in putting anything from Lowes or HD in the home if you do it right.

The registers are a no big deal, just drop them in. Mine are 4x10s and I bought 12 from there just a month ago.....very nice and fancy ones if I must say the wife liked. I had people over yesterday and they noticed them and liked them.
oldtimer

even though we don't use the furnace.

How do ya heat yer place Greg ??
Thank you
God Bless
Greg

Pellet stove, before that we used a Monitor 20k unit. The home is a 92 and the furnace was only been used for the first two years, the only time turn it on is if the temp. drops to around -20 just to keep the pipes warm.

Greg
marriednamobile

thanks for all the replies, they affirmed my gut instinct, that as long as they're the right size I can use vent covers found in local stores... honestly I feel bad that she has some serious misconceptions about what you can and can't use when dealing with a manufactured home, but then again most people do.
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
Greg

Feel free to questions about any other possible "misconceptions".

Greg
Robin

I got my new floor vent registers from Lowe's. I got white ones for everywhere but the living room, since my floor is laminate I got a wooden one. What I like about them compared to the ones that came in our MH is that they are loose i.e. they don't screw in. When they need to be cleaned I don't have to worry about finding a screwdriver and a square bit to get them out, I just pick them up, clean them, and put them back in. So much easier, and I have no issues whatsoever with them rattling or anything. I'd never go to a mobile home supply for anything, everything we've replaced we've gotten either at Lowe's or Home Depot.
WildIrish

We got our replacement floor vents from Menard's. The only thing I don't like about these newer ones is that the slots are much larger than on the original floor vents. It's basically an invitation to mice if there are any gaps in the ducts (we've had mice get in the house that way, in the past). And they hurt a LOT if you happen to step on them when you're barefoot or wearing socks!
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/2v9p75c.gif[/img]