joint compound for texture

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Indians

I was wondering if anyone that has used joint compound for smearing it on the walls has ran into problems with it cracking?

I am thinking about doing this...but my husband says it will crack.

Can anyone tell me how they did it?

Thanks a million
Yanita

Hi,

I did it late last year in my dining room, so far so good. I live in a double wide and it does shift in the spring, just a little, but it has not bothered the dining room.

Application is easy, start with clean walls.

Apply with a trowel or I used a 6 inch putty knife. Just easier for me to control with bad wrist.

If you are texturing a wall board wall then you only need about a 1/4 inch coverage. Just spread the stuff on, make as smooth or textured as you like. Hold your trowel or knife at different angles and you get different textures. Just play with it.

Now if you are covering older paneled walls I found that to make it look good I had to fill the grooves, let dry and then texture the entire walls.

Sorry I did not see if you had a profile. If you live in a humid area, I suggest running a small dehumidifier while this stuff is drying. I did not have any problems with moisture, but thats not to say someone else will not.

Good luck, have fun,

Oh, and Welcome to the site!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
sherry

Hi,
I used it on my back bedroom walls and it worked fine.. I did mud and tape the seams (under the strips), I sanded lightly on places where it got too textured, primed and then painted. It looks great and has held up really well. No cracks so far.
sherry

I've done this before in another home and just used it like finger paint with latex gloves on. Very therapeutic. :lol: This was many years ago and I was told my walls would come down but I just applied lightly and swirled as I went.
sherry

Hi,
You're so right, a little goes a long way with this stuff. When it dries you can always add more for a more textured look. I was going for that old plastered smooth yet rough kind of look. Thats why I slightly sanded the rough high spots down. I'm really pleased with the finished product.
Sherry
Yanita

Hi ladies,

As I was finishing this technique up in our newly renovated master suite I had to stop short...I do not advise this treatment on any wall that is considered a plumbing wall.

I am sure it can be done if you create an access panel first and then do the texture on the panel, once dried then attach the hardware and install.

JMO,

Yanita
LynnieCheb

A program last week on cable showed this, and instead of leaving the wall white, or painting it afterward, they drizzled a little wall paint (three different colors) right into the joint compound. Didn't mix it up, just slapped it on the wall. It looked really cool on t.v. - like one of those old walls you would see in Italy with the different textures and the different colors.

I thought it looked so cool that I'm going to try it in our place. Just haven't decided which wall to try, yet.

Lynnie C.
Yanita

Hi Lynnie,

Yup, someone on site has already done this, think they used colors of blue.

Look thru the photo album, there are pics.

Yanita