Skirting on the Cheap

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JeepsOLot

In the town I will be living, Habitat for Humanity has a deconstruction section at their Restore thrift store. This is stuff that was saved from places that were being demolished. I found some plastic siding that looks like cedar siding. It was $1 a 3' x 18" section, so, I bought enough to skirt my place for $40, plus $36 for J channel to finish it. I did a small section just to see how it looked, not too bad, I think!

What do ya think?

Jerry
Greg

Right place at the right time!

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JeepsOLot

Got the other side done today:

Here's what that side looked like before:

Jerry
JD
Site Admin

I'd really recommend having a small gravel barrier with landscape cloth underneath to help keep vegetation growth away from the skirting or if so inclined, use a good spray to keep it away.. A weedeater will eat up the skirting. A lawn mower can also throw rocks hard enough to punch holes in it as well. Don't aim the discharge at the home when you are close to it.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JeepsOLot

I'm planning on doing something like that at the bottom, but, for now, I just want it sealed under there. I still need to put in strips on the ground to hold the bottom of the panels, hopefully this weekend.

Jerry
JeepsOLot

Got the back of the home done today. The area under the bay windows was a little tricky, but, it worked nicely.

When I got the place, this is what the same area looked like:

Cleaned up nicely.

Jerry
Trudi

Great find and your hard work is paying off!
750chop

i like this alot! would look real nice if you painted the outside of the house to match the skirting.