Flooring (Economical!)

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

debijo

Hi all, I am new here, but have been reading the forum for a couple of months. We purchased a 2001 16x80 Town & Country MH a couple of weeks ago. It has been sitting empty for several years. After spending days of cleaning walls, appliances, we started working on the carpet. It never was going to get any better, so ended up ripping it all out. I have allergies and asthma, so don't want to have any carpet. Now we are down to the OSB. Until we sell our present home and business we are tight on cash. I have thought about porch and deck paint, just to get it sealed and through the winter...I have pondered doing the paper bag floor...can't get a good feel for what this will end up costing in the long run. I would love to have the Allure vinyl planks, but $$$$. I found a building supply warehouse this morning where I can get laminate for $ .79 a ft, but I never could get the brand name out of the guy on the phone. I just received $250 for Christmas....do I get laminate for living room and charge enough to do the whole house since I will probably never find matching laminate again....paint it, or do the paper bag floor.

Whew, I didn't mean to write a book, but I have read every flooring post on about 3 forums and still can't figure out the best option.

Thanks so much for your opinions!

Debi
Lake Eufaula, OK
flcruising

My suggestion is to start in the living room with a floating (laminate) flooring, and address each room later as money permits with differing material to set them apart. Use transition strips so you don't have to worry about matching the exact finishes. I like the idea of paper bag flooring (first I'd heard of it) in the bedrooms, and maybe simulated ceramic vinyl tile, sheet vinyl, or cork laminate in the kitchen.

If you go with a floating floor, you shouldn't need to address the subfloor. With vinyl tiles or glue down flooring (not sheet vinyl), you must have a flat surface to work with or the imperfections will telegraph through. Usually this involves first installing luan plywood or - at the very least - treating the joints with bondo and sanding the entire floor surface smooth. Since you mention OSB, I think luan would be the way to go.

I'm certain you could not roll enough coats of paint over plain OSB to achieve an acceptable finish. I've tried painting OSB before using block wall paint (very thick, like elastomeric) and there was no end to the the coats required to fill the pores. Not to mention the inability to mop or spill water on it.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

I agree with Aaron, the only paint that may fill the voids would be an Epoxy paint (like a garage floor paint) that would cost as much as laminate.

You may get lucky and find some close out sales on laminate or check Craigs list. Try to stay away from low end laminate, you will not be happy with it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
debijo

Thank you for your advice. How can I tell junk laminate? I have never had it before. The man that has the $ .79 laminate said it is 7mm and he has some that is more $ that is 11mm. I have never shopped or researched laminate before.

Debi
flcruising

Here's some information about laminate flooring quality differences.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2341578_compare ... oring.html
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

I would recommend doing research, and more research and then read any reviews you can find. If you can get a sample section, put it through the paces. Put a wet glass or boots on it and see if the water effects it. We have Home Expressions in ours' that I bought at Mr. Seconds that is great as far as wear & water. Our Daughter bought some from Lumber Liquidators that is junk. If you walk across it with wet shoes it almost leaves water marks in it. If you leave wet boots on it you will have water marks.

Greg
debijo

Aaron, thanks so much, that was a big help! Greg, thank you, that brand is now on my good list. Now if we just could get this show on the road! Thanks again!
Greg

Debi, One thing that I forgot to mention. If you have dogs you will want some throw rugs. Laminate floors to a dog may as well be ice. Both of our's have slipped, large dogs could be badly hurt.

Greg
DCDiva

We install the vinyl planks in our downstairs and they we .88 at Lowes and sometimes they have specials. Will try to post a photo. We have a roller rink in town that has OSB and the did a gloss ploy on it for the floor--has laster for many years. Cheep and fast just pour some on the floor and spread it lol.
Melissa
debijo

DCDiva, Are yours peel and stick? Do you remember the brand? Thanks!
DCDiva

The Lowes brade name of the vinyl flooring is Novalis. Here is a photo album of it and us installing it.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sha ... 1450517933
Enjoy, Melissa
debijo

Thank you, That floor would certainly make me very happy! Did you use something for a prep? I had heard that peel and stik doesn't do well in mobile homes. Thanks again!

debi
JD
Site Admin

That looks really nice Melissa. Nice job!
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
1987Commodore

That looks like what one of our local installers put in Walmart, in some areas. I know the product had a 15 year home warranty, and they gave Walmart a 10 year for the store.
Aarons

Greg wrote:I agree with Aaron, the only paint that may fill the voids would be an Epoxy paint (like a garage floor paint) that would cost as much as laminate.

You may get lucky and find some close out sales on laminate or check Craigs list. Try to stay away from low end laminate, you will not be happy with it.

Greg
Aarons is right, you want to start with the main areas first. If you are trying to sell the house, you want what people will see to at least be matching. If you have to do catch-as-catch-can, do it in areas that might not be noticed as often. Even if you don't sell it, at least you want see the different laminate every time you come home

Link removed by moderator