Question about mobile home skirting?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CountryLiving34

My doublewide mobile home is 15 years old. I wish to replace the plain white skirting with something fancier, but I do not wish to do the job myself. Who could I get (pay) to do this type of job and how much should I expect to pay for the labor. Mobile home is 68' long by 27' wide. Thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions.
Greg

Cost? Totally depends on how fancy you want to go. If you want to stay with a vinyl costs are usually on the low end. Steel will put you mid range and concrete is upper end. I would check with a Mobile home dealer in your area for contacts.

If you are in a cold area I would go with insulated skirting.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
CountryLiving34

Ok, thanks a lot Greg. Is the skirting sold by the foot? Here is what I am thinking about. This looks like brick. What do you think? Here is the link.

http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merchan ... y_Code=EBS
Greg

I have not used this type, perhaps others that have will add their thoughts. I personally am a fan of steel, you can hammer on it with a weed eater all day long an not hurt it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

I prefer metal skirting myself. Mobiles with artificial stone or brick don't look right for some reason. Probably because everyone knows there is no foundation, therefor it looks fake, or because homes with foundations do not have the brick going all the way to the ground.
My preference, second to metal, would be a grey concrete board intended to represent a real foundation.
It's skirting so my preference is it look like skirting not something everyone knows it isn't.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
DCDiva

I have this type of brick on a house I bought--I bought a house with 2 mobile homes on the same large lot. It looks just like brick until you get right up to it. Mine is not insulated. If you use this, you might do flower bed/landscape so the weed eater does not tear it up--maybe put something around it to protect--I do not know if I have close photos of ours,but it looks real--thanks for posting the link as we are redoing another mh--the 2 nd on the lot and have not decided on the skirting yet.
Some suggestions---frame with treated lumber--we framed like a house with 16inch center and due to the location--hard winters we insulated and wrapped with 6 mil plastic then put up the underpinning--really helped with the utilities.
Good luck I think it will look great--please post photos when done :)
Melissa
CountryLiving34

Thanks DCDIVA, Greg, and Greg S for all your input. Much appreciated!
JD
Site Admin

Coming in late here, but I have installed a lot of this skirting. It is sold by the piece as shown in your link. I buy them from http://www.fauxpanels.com/. There are a lot of quality levels of this plastic siding/skirting and Faux Panels has them all. There are panels that cost $100 ea! That is $10 a SF for the material. I usually install the Nailon product at about $25 a panel.

This get's expensive. Just the faux brick panels and corners alone cost more than I sell regular vinyl skirting for, installed! You will also need to buy and install the framing, 7/16" sheathing and moisture barrier. On your home, you are probably looking at $1500 to $2000 for materials, depending on what (sensible) panels you choose. Paying a contractor to install it would make for very expensive skirting. I have only installed this product through insurance jobs.

I think the Nailon red brick looked good but it doesn't look like real brick, especially as a front veneer like this. The Nailon white and gray Stone Wall is very convincing. They sell a nice looking brick ledge for the top of the skirting, but it is kind of big for mobile homes. On this home, I just used the top trim that was built into the siding. You could use what ever you want, vinyl skirting trim, wood or aluminum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.