Petunias.......

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gram2logan

I bought 2 hanging baskets with purple petunias (and a couple other flowers too) about 2 weeks ago. They were the most beautiful baskets I'd ever seen. Really full of flowers.

Sad to say that's not the case anymore :cry: I don't know if I'm watering them too much or too little or if they are not getting enough sun or what. Am I supposed to pick off the dead blooms or what?

They are hanging at the edge of my awning over my back patio and the sun gets there around noon till late afternoon. Then the trees block it. I've been watering them every day in the evening. We've had really hot days since I got them. In the high 80's and mid 90's. Today was cooler - only in the 70's.

Any ideas or suggestions to bring them back?? Thanks!
Stop talking before people stop listening!
Yanita

Hi Gram,

Typically any dark colored flower likes the morning sun opposed to the afternoon. That is the hottest.

Hanging basket dry out quickly, stick your finger in the dirt at least 2 inches, if it feels moist then they have enough water.

I am going to guess that they are just getting burned from the late afternoon sun.

I dead head mine and get great blooms till the end of the season.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

The smart one of the family (Sal) suggests using Miracle Grow. Just follow the suggestions on the box. Feel the soil before you water. Plants like moist but not standing water so check to make sure the water is draining to prevent root rot. your baskets should have drain holes. ImageToo much sun can't hurt them. Ours get full sun all day.

Jim
Maureen

Hey Jim,

Too much sun can't hurt them if you live in an area that has humidity LOL! I went so far as to buy the miracle grow moisture this year. That, along with the pearlite (sp?) is suppose to keep the moisture in.

All the planters out in full sun are crispy critters again this year! Nothing is working in those planters. On the other hand, even my perennials, shrubs and trees are suffering badly. We haven't seen much rain or snow this year, so we're in a drought situation.

I'm still trying to save plants, trees and shrubs that have been here for 6 years! My plants on the front deck and back porch are doing okay. But, I have hundreds of other plants that I'm playing mommy to right now! It's not just the drought, that brings on other problems with bugs and fungus.

Gram, when I see problems here with plants, I always contact the Universities extension office. They are a lifesaver! If you don't have that option, contact an established nursery in your area.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Jim from Canada

never thought of the "crispy critters" scenario..lol. Perhaps a drip systems to keep the soil moist and cool is the only other thing that comes to mind right now....3:30am, just got up for work.

Jim
gram2logan

Update on the petunias........We found out that we were not watering them enough. Watered them every day, but not enough at a time. We still have blooms, but there's a lot of dead stuff too. Guess we waited too long.

On a positive note, we have a bird's nest in one of them!! Not sure what kind of bird. She's rather small and the eggs are cream or white with speckles on them. Also not sure if the eggs are still viable. We have dumped water into the basket not knowing the nest was there, so I'm sure they've been soaked. Time will tell.
Maureen

Hi Gram,

Basket always dry out real fast. Yep, they take lots of water when it gets dry! My baskets are the only thing, besides the planters on the back porch that have stayed alive this year... as far as annuals go. My larger planters have all about died. All of my plants are stressing from the dry, high temps right now. We have water restrictions here, so there isn't much more I can do this year.

Next year, don't buy ready made hanging baskets. Make them yourself and use pearlite or other products that are added to soil to hold water in those planters.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi Gram,

Trim them back to get rid of as much dead plant material as possible.

For my hanging baskets and other potted plants, once a week I soak them real good in a large tub of water. I have one of those cheap plastic storage containers you get from the dollar store. Half fill it with water and set the pots into it while I am dead heading other plants.

~Yanita~
SpongeBob

Here in N.H.we have several days in the 90's all summer long. We water our annuals twice daily. We also use the miracle gro product but we reduce the amount that is stated on the directions. Kind of a "weak mixture" used more often seems to keep us in color all summer. Hope this helps your thumb stay green! :lol:
bkbunny

I learned several years ago, to put a diaper or pull up in bottoms of hanging baskets or planters, these help hold water in for the day. You can pick up off brand packs for 6.00 for 28
this saves a lot of time of trying to keep those pots moist twice a day...
gram2logan

Ever since we began "soaking" the plants every night till the water runs out the bottom, they are doing great. We also had to move them because they were only getting sun the latter part of the day. The bird's nest is gone now - we waited till the babies were gone before we moved that plant to the sunnier spot. It's really hard to believe how they've come back "from the dead" so to speak! If I think about it I'll take a picture tomorrow and show you.

Barb
Yanita

Bkbunny,

LOL, what a great idea..thanks sooo much for sharing.

I just happen to have some left over pampers from when the grandkids were little. Will make a note in my gardening journal so I remember to do this next year when it is time for new annuals.

Yanita
shellyrat

Love the idea about the pampers for the plants thanks.
They are also great for small male dogs that like to mark inside. Cut out the seat of a pull up pamper and put it around the belly making sure the watering part of the dog is covered.LOL if they mess you can just throw away the pull up.
Kathy c in ky