Window shades

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sparks3815

We have a 1972 Airstream. I would like to get shades for the side windows. I measured from bracket to bracket, but the store said that they could not use that measurement to get me the correct size. How exactly do I measure so that they are cut correctly.

JD
Site Admin

The big home stores and places like Penney's can cut horizontal and vertical blinds to any size you want. Maybe you chose a brand or type of blind they could not custom fit. If you want these blinds to fit inside the window cavity, I think they recommend that you order the blinds 3/8" smaller in width, so they can go up and own without rubbing on the sides. But this let's some light in on the edges. If the blinds can be mounted above the window, they can be ordered a little larger than the window for complete coverage. Many horizontal blinds products have keepers that can hold the blinds tight to the wall.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
sparks3815

I think my problem is that the brackets are already there and I do not really know how much more I should add to the length. The length between the brackets is 33 3/4". I tried to explain this to the gal at Penney's and she kept telling me I had to measure wood to wood and subtract 1/8". Am I being dense? I told her the brackets were on the outside, not inside the frame.

Thanks
DaveyB

Hello and welcome!

Firstly I'd like to clarify something. When you say "window shades" are you referring to the shutter type shades on the outside of the window, or do you mean the blinds that typically hang on the inside of the window?

A picture paints a thousand words, so here's a few thousand words ....
Bermuda/Bahama Shutter (image from shutterblinds.com)

Venetian Blinds (image from howstuffworks.com)

Vertical Blinds (image from howdididoit.com)

Roller Blinds (image from made-in-china.com)

As you can see, window shades can be a little misleading! If you can let us know which type you are referring to, we can be a lot more helpful!

For what it's worth, most of these blinds normally come with their own mounting hardware, and they are usually different across different manufacturers, and even across the model range from a single manufacturer. You will probably have to remove the existing mounts and use the ones that come with your shades instead, so simply take your measurement as enough to land your mounting hardware approximately where the existing hardware is.

Hope that helps, and please let us know which specific type you are looking at so we can be more useful to you :)
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
sparks3815

Wow, I guess I better be more specific. I am wanting to put up roller blinds inside. I do
not see how the existing brackets can come down and new ones put up. My hubby would
probably not like that idea too much.

Thank you
DaveyB

OK, now I understand what you are looking for. With roller blinds, you typically measure the width and height which the blind itself will cover. If you look at the image above for vertical blinds, you will see there is both an inside and an outside mount, and the same applies to roller blinds.

Since you already have the brackets in place, measure the distance to the outsides (not the insides) of the brackets and tell them that that is the "wood to wood" measurement - I'm guessing it will be 34". They will deduct the space needed for the mounting hardware which should leave you with your 33 3/4" inside width. Don't forget to measure the height of the window, from the top edge of the brackets to the point where the blind will hang when closed, and tell them you didn't allow for material left on the roller. They will then add the circumference of the roller to that measurement to get the correct length.

You may still have the problem of the existing brackets not working with the new blinds, although roller blinds are fairly standard in their mounting hardware, so it may not arise.

Hope that helps!

DaveyB
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
drewwilliam

Window blinds is a screen that is made up of wooden sticks and it will protect you from the harmful rays of sun. Window blinds are best for decorating your home and it totally changes look of your room.
arronbond

I want to modify my home and I want to buy blinds for my room. I am here wondering to know difference between shutter, jalousie and window blind and also suggest me which is the best blinds

Link deleted by moderator
greekjohnson01

A window treatment shade in its basic terms is a spring cord pulley system that allows you to raise and lower a window covering shade. There are a wide variety of different types that you can choose from like roller shades to cellular shades to natural shades like bamboo or other natural fibers.

Links removed by moderator