Your advice wanted on decorative woodstove backing

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

The basic question is whether 300-400 lb. of slate tiles are OK to adhere to an interior and exterior wall. We saw the "cultured stone" material and liked the look, but thought slate tiles would be less expensive and look better. The exterior wall is 2x6, 16" on center; the interior wall is 2x4, my guess 24" on center. I figured I would use Liquid Nails to attach the tiles, no grout needed.
What do you all think? Am I nuts?
thanks,Mac:-D
archive

HI MacAttack,

My first thought is do you have outriggers. Second thought was if not you should, third I would recommend adding extra blocking underneath before you do the job.

My thoughts are, if your home is in good condition, floors studs are not rotted it really should not be any more weight than say a water bed or full chest freezer.

As for the interior wall section I think I would take down the finish wall covering and add some extra studs. Interior wall are typically not real strong unless they are load bearing.

JMO, others will add there's shortly!

~Yanita~
archive

Hi MacAttack,

I'd go with the cultured stones in a heart beat!

When you add extra weight to any wall in our homes, you risk having to keep reveling the house.

Lighter is always better in the long run, and will pay for itself many times over!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Hi Maureen,
It's on a slab, and fairly new (2002) with 2x6 wall construction. I think the areas I want to do are 40 sf on one side (outside wall) and 60 sf on the interior-wall side.
I went to HD and weighed a few slate tiles - they averaged 6.1 lb. each. So I have 250 lb. on the outside wall and 366 lb. on the inside wall. Since it's spread out over so many square feet, our latest thinking is that it should not be a problem. I think we're going to go for it in the next few months, so I will post pix and note any problems. Thanks!!! :-P
archive

Hi,

Again I stress that you should put extra blocking under your home. Definitely add more interior studs on the other wall. Also does your home have outriggers.

To not meet these requirements could result in damage to your home.

~Yanita~
archive

Hi MacAttack,

Not trying to sound like a nag here... but.

Because you have a newer home now, doesn't mean that it won't suffer damage down the road. A cement slab is not any type of foundation at all! So many things can go wrong there!

But, in the end it's your choice. All we can do is give you ideas about might what happen!

Case in point, we're slowly renovating our home. Some due to money, most due to lack of time, and last but not least, because we aren't willing to invest cash, sweat and time for something that won't work for our home!

Just remember, the end result isn't what you see when the project is done, it's what you have 5 to 10 years down the road.

Like I said, just my opinion!

Maureen 8-)