Exterior Paint Question?!

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Georgie

My Mom and Dad are going to paint the exterior of their mobile home, they have metal siding. They are not sure which finish to get, I thought that I read to use a satin finish because it wont show imperfections as much as a flat finish. Their siding actually doesn't look all bad, just spots of rust (from their old roof) and corrugation. Is there anything that will just clean that off so they wont have to paint? Thanks So Much! :D
Yanita

Hi,

Rust would have to be lightly sanded and then primed and maybe a paint touch up. If they are small enough areas you might be able to match them up fairly good.

Not sure what you mean about corrugation. Are you talking about the chalky stuff., thats oxidation. :lol:

The best, and only safe way to clean the exterior of a mobile home is with a long handled brush, bucket of warm water with cleaner of your choice. Rinse with garden hose.

To help avoid streaking of your home clean in sections, and try to do it on an overcast day.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
kashton

Start scrubbing from bottem up, then rinse from top down. I watched "Jon Eakes" explain how to wash an exterior!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

Yup, I forgot to mention that, its also the same way I wash my car!

~Yanita~
Georgie

OOPS YANITA! :lol: I dunno what I am talking about! You guys should know that by now! LOL Well the roof was rusty and it's ran down the sides of the trailer in streaks. I'm not sure if it will come off or not, there's not a lot just about five or six streaks total. They thought maybe a really good cleaner might remove it by luck! lol How about the finish and quality of the paint?
Yanita

Hi Georgie,

Ok, I got a mental picture of the rust now, I was not sure but maybe you where referring to rust spots around some screws.

No sure who or even if this works but I heard somewhere that Coke soda removes rust. Maybe some on a rag and gently wipe in the rusty areas????? I know there are several cleaners out there that claim to remove rust also. Unfortunately I am just tired enough to not be able to recall any of the names of the products.

As for the quality of the paint, I have really scrubbed the daylight out of mine and the paint never came off. Just be careful in what you use, try, LOL, Krud Kleaner. Can be bought at Lowe's for about 12.00 a gal. It's a concentrate so you can start with a weaker solution and make it stronger if needed.

Maybe others will have a good idea on another rust remover.

~Yanita~
kashton

CLR claims to remove rust. Never tried it myself. Usually found in cleaner section in most stores. They also have a spray form of CLR.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Georgie

Thanks Gals! I was wondering if TSP would work? I noticed they had two different kinds at Lowes. Their siding is in very good condition just those few spots need cleaned. They actually wouldn't have to paint if they came off. So we will keep our fingers crossed. I might have them try CLR on a spot, I have some under my sink. I never thought of it working! lol :D
Yanita

Hi,

TSP is great to clean the siding, since I have never dealt with rust on my home I have no idea if it will remove the rust. As you said, go ahead and try a small area with the CLR.

Good luck and let us know the results, sooner or latter everyone needs to wash their home!

~Yanita~
Maureen

Hi Georgie,

The rust streaks will have to be slightly sanded. No cleaner that I know of will take these off completely.

What you will need to do next is prime the siding using a metal primer.

I'm assuming that by corrugation, you mean that they have vertical metal siding.

Personally, I just don't like flat paint on metal siding. It looks faded and flat in just year or so. Gloss will show every imperfection. I prefer a satin finish.

The key is all in the prep work!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
busybee1952

How would one apply the satin finish paint to the metal? Can it be done with a brush? I thought a sprayer would have to be used.