Doorstops/"door stops"

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mdnagel

What do people recommend as replacement doorstops? I'm re-doing my flooring and will need to put something back in place. The originals are pretty ucky-looking, and I really don't like stuff on the floor (not to mention drilling into the laminates to put them back).
Greg

You could go with the style that screws into the wall they may not work in all cases but usually they are fine. Check Lowes site, they have a few styles.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

If you can't go with hinge pin door stops, then the only other option is like Greg mentioned. They even have stick on kind. The problem with them is if there isn't a stud or blocking behind, you run the risk of damaging the wall if the door is flung open.

EDIT: Also, don't forget about the ones that screw to the baseboard (if you have 'em). There's the springy kind and solid ones. They are near the floor, so less noticeable, but not screwed through your nice new flooring.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
mdnagel

Yeah, was thinking about the knob stops, but was curious to hear people's thoughts on them. The spring stops, these didn't come to mind, probably because I don't have baseboards, though maybe someday... but, with the doors set so high off the floor I'd have to have some pretty high baseboards. Need to adjust my mind to conform to this way of thinking after being programmed for "conventional" homes!
Greg

You could make some "custom" door stops out of some Oak also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
joedirt63

conventional ? these are no diffrent .just think of a stick home with no foundation put on a flat bed built with tooth picks and staples, heh heh :mrgreen: just my 2 cents, yeah coffee's workin.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
mdnagel

Greg wrote:You could make some "custom" door stops out of some Oak also.

Greg
The pressure! I still haven't gotten to the point that I can work on the t-strips! Have picked up some router bits though :D