painting interior of mobile home

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sgrausch

Wanting to paint interior of motherinlaws mobile home She is smoker we have washed the walls but nail head areas are showing up brown spots. Or is that from condensation she leaves this mobile home empty in the winter (Iowa) and goes to another in Florida Her home is an early 1990s Has sort of vinyl wall boards on the walls no texture smooth. No pattern to cover either.
Any hope to paint?
PennylessZ28

Use a primer first. And I'd highly recommend an oil based primer at that when dealing with nicotine on the wallls. (Although some on here will argue that.) If the nail heads bleed through, its from rust. Applying latex over rust, will just make it rust more, becuase its water based.

Just make sure you use a good primer, such as Zinnser 1-2-3 or Killz Premium. If you have a Benjamin Moore near you, their "Fresh Start" is even better. If you have a Duron in your area, try Stain Killer T2.

Avoid crappy primer such as glidden from the home depot. It's garbage, and thats why it's cheap.

Proper prep will make the paint stick.
Yanita

LOL,

No argument, just that oil base is typically not necessary.

Clean your walls thoroughly and then prime with whatever you choose. Most here prefer a latex primer as it is easy clean up. I have done every room in my home (previous folks were heavy smokers) and my home came out fine with latex.

If nail heads are rusting that tells me the home is not getting proper ventilation. Run exhaust fans when cooking or shower/bathing and leave on for at least 30 minutes after each. Use dehumidifier if the condensation is that bad.

Need further help please post back.

Have a great day,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
PennylessZ28

Can always use the finger nail test. If you paint something, and then can scratch it off the wall with your fingernail, you didn't prep it good enough. :)
sgrausch

sgrausch wrote:Wanting to paint interior of motherinlaws mobile home She is smoker we have washed the walls but nail head areas are showing up brown spots. Or is that from condensation she leaves this mobile home empty in the winter (Iowa) and goes to another in Florida Her home is an early 1990s Has sort of vinyl wall boards on the walls no texture smooth. No pattern to cover either.
Any hope to paint?
Thanks for the good advice now it will be just convicing mother it can be done--maybe when she leaves for Florida :wink:
Yanita

Hi,

Your welcome, have any further questions let us know.

Have a great day!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!