Joint Compound (Faux) Stones

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Trudi

Hi everyone! Haven't been here in awhile, but some may remember my intentions of trying to make "stone" from joint compound on a small wall in our mh at the beach. Since it's not used full time, I hope it holds up well, as it's in the kitchen. Thought I'd share some of the steps along the way, since we're always interested in different wall treatments, though I realize it isn't for everyone. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trudi

Last pic was too big. Gonna try different sizes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trudi

Moving along.
Trudi

Can't seem to get the others up, and they show more up close detail. Thanks for looking, even if you didn't see the finished product. :)
Greg

Looks good!! one question, In the first picture it looks like you were doing stone over the refrigerator, in the last picture it is yellow. Optical illusion, or too much work? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Trudi

Thanks, Greg. In the first pic, it is just textured like the walls, but not "stones." Later, it is painted yellow along with the walls, and yeah....too much work!!!! LOL!

I have a question too: Is there a limit as to how many pics can be posted? I couldn't get the last 3 up.
Greg

You need to resize the pictures to "small" before you attach them, I think there is a maximum of 3 per post. You are asking the wrong person about pictures. With the "old" format I never had a problem, the new version runs me in circles when it comes to pictures. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Trudi

I know what you mean. I miss the albums; we could just upload the pics and send folks to view the album. :)

I resized in the Paint program, and went smaller each time, but that's probably the old fashioned way of doing things. :D Maybe I'll try to post the detailed pics in another thread, since there's a maximum of 3. If that's not ok, guess I'll find out soon enough.
Yanita

Trudi,

Great job! Guess I should of read this thread first...I asked in your other thread where this application was done. I am thinking this should hold up well. I have used sheetrock mud to texture many walls in my home and 3 years latter everything is fine. It appears your wall colors are very close to what I have in my dining and livingroom!

I agree, with the change of forum format we lost the photo albums, that used to be one of the big highlights to this forum! I miss browsing all the photo's.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
joedirt63

wow, that looks great, my daughter's kitch is laid out just like that except she has a window over the sink, gives me some ideas to finish her kitchen, and may be the bath too. was thinking that may be sealing it with like a flat finish water base urethane coating , may be easier to keep clean beeing that it's in the kitchen. also moisture resistant too. i used this sealer on my kitch cabinets after staining the doors and painted the frames and it holds up well.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Trudi

Thanks Yanita. Good to see you back! Would love to pics of your textured walls. I remember, from reading your posts in the past, thinking that we have similar tastes. :)
Trudi

joedirt63 wrote:wow, that looks great, my daughter's kitch is laid out just like that except she has a window over the sink, gives me some ideas to finish her kitchen, and may be the bath too. was thinking that may be sealing it with like a flat finish water base urethane coating , may be easier to keep clean beeing that it's in the kitchen. also moisture resistant too. i used this sealer on my kitch cabinets after staining the doors and painted the frames and it holds up well.
Thanks, Joe! That's a good tip about the flat poly for protection. I did the same technique, only in "brick" in the bath in the main home, since you mentioned your daughter's bath. Do you have pics of your cabinets? I want to do something with mine, just don't know what yet.
Yanita

Hi Trudi!

Yes, we do enjoy some of the same decorating ideas. Sure do wish we had the photo album so we could keep track of everything. Unfortunately I know longer have before and after's of my home. The pc crashed awhile back...of course not everything was on back up!

It's good to be back, kind quiet around here compared to last year! Gotta get the folks back or get more interaction going...

Hope all is well with you, and glad to see you are still here.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Trudi

Yanita, that's a shame about your pics/computer. Yes, I'd like to see more going on here too. How do we rattle some cages? :wink:
quinnbeia

Great pictures Trudi. I have amount of pictures, I have taken while I refurnished my kitchen and bedroom. I will come back with innovative photos as soon as far.