taping joints at the ceiling

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

alisoncat

Hi,

We recently bought a double wide on a tie down foundation that we're fixing up. Most of the rooms have drywall that's been mudded and taped, but not sure if that's original. We've read that when installing flooring it's important to allow space at the edges for expansion and contraction of the home. Does the same hold for where the walls meet the ceilings? Currently these joints are not taped. Could they be, or would this inevitably crack?

Thanks!

Alison
JD
Site Admin

Anywhere sheetrock is taped in a mobile home is a possibility for chronic cracks, the ceiling even more so. How well a home does is dependent on how solid the home is and how solid the ground or foundation is under the home. The best homes will have very little cracking problems.

This is why older mobile homes were real big on moldings and trim. As this movement happens, the wall just moves under the unpainted trim and does not show a crack until the trim pops off or pulls away.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
joedirt63

found that out the hard way. currently installing new wood stained mouldings, to replaced the yucky ones that i removed in atempt to tape and mud the seams, i'm learning, just takeing longer than i expected.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
DCDiva

Hi I have been gone for a while so this is late,sorry but when we totally gutted our dd mh when we put up the drywall we did not tape anything as many on the list had said this was where the problems were so we used 1 x4's instead--when we do the other one--we have 2 MH's the same but other will b a rental--we will use furring strips 1x3,much cheeper and we will paint instead of stain--my dd love the stain color,here is a photo
LR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quinnbeia

Your sounds like, You have decorated your home as per your dd's ideas. I really like the stain color which You used for your house.
DCDiva

Well my dd lives there I do not,so she got a free hand on all the colors--lol-- wait until I take pictures of her monkey bathroom and we finish her bedroom,I love the color of her bedroom--it took many coats and I may add some of my artist flare to the walls