simulated wood deck

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

joedirt63

ok guys sounds crazy but, sitting here being bored and stareing at my porch , i got an idea. and built it . we have 2 fiberglass steps on or m/h. the hand rails are aluminun and very loose . in and effort to repair them i broke rusted bolts . what to do? i built a wooden hand rail from pressrue treat lumber that my wife bought for a garden fence project. I secured them to the fiberglass base with deck bolts and built the rail as if it where a deck. I also used some reclaimed (used) deck planks to secure to the steps and landing . Painted it with a redwood deck stain and the fiberglass with brown porch paint to match the skirting. bordeum is the mother of inovation . aleast for me.if i could ever figure out how to used our new camera i'll try to down load some pics of this thing. the steps are under a awning so the snow and rain dosen't cloect much,and it's pitched out enough to have some run off, after all they are still solid surface under the planks, we'll see how they weather this winter
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Lookingforwork09

I'm always glad to hear when people take initiative to do those projects they are thinking about! Good for you! Sounds like an interesting project, and I wish I could see it. How big is this area? I love bring outdoors in the nice weather, and I was wondering if you had added any other features?
joedirt63

heres a pic of those strairs i hope. took it with my cell phone emailedd ot my yahoo and downloaded to here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
joncro55

How about some type of wire mesh to close up that railing and make the staircase a little more safer and more private? Something along the lines of a screened in porch type of idea?

http://www.bwire.com/

Check them out for maybe like a stainless steel 4 x 4 wire mesh type of material? This way the material won't be super fine material stuff, pretty inexpensive, and it will just kid of make the project look more complete. Great job on those steps.
joedirt63

mesh? sheesh it ain't no chicken coop. heh heh heh . well the latice is going down the steps,just didn't have enough at the time. thanks . the old rails where just aluminum . remember it's a HAND RAIL not bleacher seats.center rail is high enough for my granddaughter to hold.
joncro55

Haha, no not chicken coop wire. I meant more like a heavy duty 4 mesh or something like that. You will be surprised at how nice and finished the steps will look...

http://www.bwire.com/

Check it out, this stuff can look really proffesional if installed correctly.