Backsplash idea

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

adr1209

I was thinking, could you use vinyl tile for a back splash in your kitchen? I have seen it done, but would it be any different in a mobile home?

Amy
Yanita

Hi,

People have done that, and others have used full sheet vinyl.

A couple things to consider is if you go above your stove, they might not take the heat and could be a fire hazard. If you are sloppy at doing dishes and water gets up there alot then the water could get behind the tiles or penetrate the seams. That would cause adhesion problems as well as promote mild/mildew and possibly ruining the drywall.

Personally I think a piece of counter top sheet laminate cut to size is the better option.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
artzypantz

Hi! I tried the peel and stick vinyl flooring as back splash behind stove......not a good idea as Yanita pointed out. I had troubles keeping it from separating when cleaning grease off it and it doesn't hold up well to the heat after time.

I plan to use glass, stone, or ceramic tiles when i redo it.

Depending on the style & colors of your kitchen you could also use a piece of copper sheeting or stainless steel sheeting in the area of the stove and sheet vinyl or something else in other areas.
Good Luck!
Tonia
Lorne

i used a Brass Kick Plate that you use on the bottom of a door. It is 34x9, so it just fit in back of the sink. Only there to protect the wall from water splaching. Looks real Mod.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Maureen

Great idea Lorne!

I love taking something meant for one thing and creating a dual purpose! I'd never have thought about a kick plate as a back splash! Great idea!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'