When I peeled back the vinyl paper...

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

marriednamobile

After researching and stressing over whether or not my paint would stick to the wallboard, I tried searching for experiences on removing the vinyl, didn't find many, but I did stumble across TONS of experiences with damaged drywall after peeling off wallpaper.
I had accidentaly removed some of the vinyl during some construction, and what was left under was a brown paper bag-ish paper facing over the gypsum core, my walls didn't fall down so I didn't worry about it.
I decided to treat my walls like what they essential were (drywall that wasn't primed/sized before it was covered with wallpaper) and I peeled off the vinyl! Boy was that therapeutic!
Some spots were grey, only when I got a little too aggressive did I get down to the brown paper, but the walls were very much sound, and smooth as drywall.
I sealed the now "damaged" drywall with Gardz which was highly recommended, and it worked like a charm. It sealed EVERYTHING, the walls are rock hard, and there's not a peel-able surface left.
I just sanded a sealed spot to remove any graininess that was left from the paper fibers hardening up, and presto- smooth as glass!
Now I can treat them like unfinished drywall, I can use a regular tinted primer (because the Gardz dried clear) then paint, or I can skimcoat, then seal and paint, but now I don't have to worry about mismatched texture from mudding the seams!
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
marriednamobile

Here are some pictures:
Sealed and Un-sealed.jpg
Removing in Sections.jpg
Sealed and Un-sealed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trudi

Good info. Thanks! I didn't see any "damaged" walls though. Those actually have holes in them where chunks of the drywall came out when peeling the paper off. I'm going to look into this product. Sounds interesting.
marriednamobile

that's true Trudi, I guess I thought damaged meant that the top layer of the drywall was torn, removed, etc., making it less, sound (I guess) than it would normally be.
But you're right, thank goodness I don't have missing chunks of drywall
Denise

Hey, haven't heard from you in a long time!! I'm so glad you posted about this! I'm going to try this. I'm still waiting for some pictures of all the work you've done.....better look like the Taj Mahal when you're done....LOL! :-)))

Sat-5-29-2010 When you went about tearing off the vinyl with a purpose, did you use the standard wallpaper removal techniques? Scoring the paper, using a wallpaper wetting solution, etc? Thanks so very much!
marriednamobile

Hey Denise! Oh I've been sayin in my head that it better look like the Taj Mahal with all the research time it took me to find this out.

When I removed the vinyl, I didn't use the regular little "Tiger" tool, I just used my utility knife and scored the surface into giant squares and rectangles, then with the tip of my knife I gently *gently* peeled back a corner of one of the squares, then peeled it off with my hands.
I didn't use the standard wallpaper removal processes because the vinyl came off so easily when I took it off by accident, that when I started to peel it off on purpose it was so obvious that it wasn't as seriously glued down like regular wallpaper would be.

I just did my second coats, and am going to start mudding my seams, then I'll seal the seams with Gardz so my paint doesn't flash
joedirt63

i 've had the same experiance with wall paper and filling in seam, let me know what you used for the seams cause joint copound even that vynle stuff cracks, cause of the vibration and movement of this house when the washer is running,first time i felt it i thouhgt we were haveing tremors. i have fixed that isssue by leveling and install a thick rubber pad under the washer.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
joedirt63

oh yeah quick note wall paper wetting solution can be substituted with laundry fabric softener, dilute it with water, worked for me , all i did when i bought this place for the first 3 months was take off papper and then paint. paint is good walls too but the seams arrrrrrg. can't seal the seams.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
marriednamobile

before I even thought peeling the vinyl off was an option, I filled my seams with a really good caulk, that stays flexible, it was DAP 3.0 I believe, also any large gaps where my walls met the ceiling, and around my window frames (for extra insulation) I used Great Stuff foam, the blue can for Windows and Doors, so that if there was any shifting or settling nothing would buckle and crack or warp because the foam allows for movement.

when you say you used joint compound, or patching compound on your seams, did you just fill them, then prime and paint, or did you treat the seams like regular drywall seams and mud and tape.

also, I find it's absolutely needed to seal any patching with compound or spackle with drywall primer, otherwise it will suck up your paint and show through