Lawn insect killer concern

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

flcruising

I have some areas of centipede that aren't recovering this spring. It was doing this last spring, but not nearly the large areas as this year. The reading I've done suggests grubs and mole crickets could be the culprit as they feast on the roots. I'm sure it's bug related, as the armadillos loved digging holes all over last fall/winter.

Anyways....the problem is that we are on a well, and I don't want to add chemicals to the lawn - for the sake of bugs - if it's going to be toxic to my family. What should I do? Our well is 55 feet deep, so would the chemicals even reach the water level we are drawing from before breaking down? I know this is shallow compared to other parts of the country, but 55 feet is relatively deep here in Florida. We live in a river valley, and the water table is about 2-3 feet below the surface.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Rhonda

Here is my input.....I wouldn't do it. I am also on a well, we use it for indoor, outdoor and livestock. Ours is 150' deep. They told me not to use fertilizer or chemicals of any kind. There are plenty of recipes for "homebrewed" insect killer that use common ingredients. Most of them contain beer and tobacco juice! I plan to do this to our yard this year. The bugs gotta go. Good luck in your adventure!
flcruising

Thanks Rhonda, maybe some of the sod be layed was infested or diseased already. Because out of the 12 or so pallets we laid, the last 2 has always been the least full. We had them delivered a couple days after the first. I'd hate to cut it all up and redo it though.
Rhonda

We had a centipede infestation a few years back. I believe it had to do with the road gravel we were brought. Those lil suckers can move and crawl through anything. I couldn't stand them anymore, so my remedy was......VINEGAR! It smelled pretty pickled outside, but it killed em. Haven't had any since.
flcruising

Does it hurt the grass?
Rhonda

The vinegar does affect the grass, didn't kill it, but it did turn it brown somewhat. I didn't do any research on it, but I am sure the internet will have info. I sprayed the drive way with it, and any little grass that was in it did turn brown. It didn't kill weeds either.
flcruising

Do you have any experience with this?

http://www.ecosmart.com/products/lawn-insect-killer/
Rhonda

I have never used this product. But from reading the label, it is all natural. Honestly, I would use it.