bathroom reno

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

pas409

First post to this site, very new to this kinda thing
We are redoing a 35 year old bath.Tearing everything out as I am sure under tub and the wall around it will prove to be interesting to say the least. Have been reading forum for sometime.
The wall surrounding tub is 1/4" wood covered with paper. Wondering what we could use to replace it. Installing tub surround but need something behind. Also window at back of tub that I would like to keep if possible as when we replaced windows, it was done also. We do not want to move any plumbing hookups, at sewer wise. Hope someone can help. Thanks
pas409
joedirt63

well my response would be cement board on the wall behind the surround. but my bath has just plain ole 3/8 mildew resistant sheet rock, make sure the floor is in could condition no water damage.with the surround ,depending on material you cancut.it out around the window like sheet rock, just make sure it's sealed, i'm sure greg will have more ideas, he's a shoot from the hip guy ,
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Hi & welcome. Shoot from the hip? OK. Depending On how deep do you want to get I would plan on taking it down to the studs and floor joists and do a TOTAL reno. It is not as costly as you may think. A good tub & surround are around $300, PLYWOOD for the floor around $25/ sheet, the new Gold sheetrock (Mold resistant) $15/sheet. If you can reconfigure things and fit a full size tub in you can get more tub for the money since there are more 60" tubs available. Vanities are always on sale somewhere.

I would not hesitate to update any plumbing necessary since the odds of new fixtures lining up are stacked way against you Plus you will want to add shutoff valves. Basic plumbing is not hard to do, But use PEX for your supply lines.

No matter what you do, don't cheap out, do the job once, do it right and make sure there are no leaks. Water is hands down your home's worst enemy. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
joedirt63

yeah greg , shoot from the hip you and the other guys tell it like it is straight foward, and you guys always seem to give honest real world advice, it's a good thing.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
pas409

Thanks for input, we had decided to go to the stud and floor porcedure. Our tub is a 60". All fixtures to be replaced. The plumber we use is a pex guy.Do have the repair book. Thanks again