Removing countertops

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

palcafe

I can't see how the countertops are attached. Were they attached before the formica was glued down? I am afraid that if I beat them off I will destroy the cabinets. Is there something I am missing here? Roger
Greg

Usually the counters & cabinets are made together. I just picked up on the counter top until if came free, but I was replacing the cabinets so I really did not care about damage. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

Many of our cabinets etc were joined using those horrible Square Drive Screws.
Like hanging the cabinets to the wall in the kitchen, though ours was built 21 years ago.

I would try to crawl inside a cabinet with a flashlight and look to see if there are some screws. If not then they are probably glued down. Yuk.
Good luck.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
aspenmathew

Their are many ways to set the counter tops and you should take care or rather remember that how they are installed or fixed. I can suggest you an option of trying and using a tools and cut the counter top carefully without touching the cabinets and doing this you will be able to remove it and see how they are glued etc. Or in other instance just take chance of breaking it as you were thinking and loose one cabinet and see how they are attached.
palcafe

Thanks for the reply. It makes me nervous and I haven't done it yet cause I'm scared. I don't want to replace the cabinets. I also worry about the back splash being glued to the wall and ruining the wall. I will be selling the home and new counter tops are a must do on my list.

Roger