melamine paint

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

macmom

does anyone know where I can buy melamine paint. cant find any in eastern north carolina. thanks macmom
JD
Site Admin

I have seen it at Home Depot. Here is a list of melamine paints I googled up.

International Paints - "One Coat Melamine Paint"

Cloverdale Paint - "Kitchen & Bath Semi-Gloss Acrylic Latex"

General Paint - "Melamine Paint"

Decotime - "Cabinet Rescue"

Ronseal - "One Coat Melamine & MDF Paint"

Dulux - "Realife Cupboard Paint"

Home Depot - "Cabinet Restore"

Maybe a search on these will find a local supplier or at least find someone to ship it to you.

Hope this helps,

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
charliemom

What is special about melamine paint? I haven't heard of it before now.
JD
Site Admin

I believe melamine paint is an epoxy paint with additives to make an even harder finish. I think that is why it won't work with a lot of surfaces. It is not pliable and won't handle expansion. It does however adhere to smooth surfaces very well. I think it also has additives to make it "level" very smooth. That's my take on it anyways.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Hi Macmom,

Just what are you trying to paint? If we knew what you were trying to cover it would be a big help.

Like JD, I think about cabinets first!

My second thought goes back to the old melamine dishes we used to eat off of when I was a kid LOL!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
macmom

I am planning on painting my laminate kitchen counter tops. they are the ugly white. If it doesnt work I am going to have a cabinet maker come in and replace them. but thought I would try this first. If it works will save me a few dollars. thanks .
JD
Site Admin

Hi macmom,

I think it would be a good idea to google search the melamine paint you want to use and lok at what the manufacturers say. They all say "not for wet surface areas".

A very good customer of mine just refinished their laminate counters with some spray product made for wet surface counters. It really looks nice. Looks a bit like gray black spotted granite. Has just a slight texture to it. You finish your job before Ican get the details on the product though. They are on vacation until the July 5. I will find out what they used and post it in case anyone's interested.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Yanita

Hey All,

I am interested in this counter top paint.

Certainly others in the future will be interested as well. We all know counter tops are one of those pricey items to replace.

Will be waiting for the info.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
kashton

A friend of mine did her counter tops with a spray too. I can't get hold of her to find out what it was. I know she got it at Early Building center. She also used one of my ideas, since she didn't want to cause any damage. Instead of cutting boards, use large ceramic tiles with felt pads on the underside. I have one under my coffee pot, and another I use for cutting board. (except for things like meat) I have a board that can be sterilized for things like that.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!