Painting walls

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ladyarcheraime

I have a 2004 MH. The previous owner had painted all the walls in the home. He painted the battens also. I wanted to paint one of the bedrooms which is bright pink. I decided to experiment and remove the battens. I had very little space between the wallboard. I taped, mudded, and sanded. I have cleaned with TSP. I primed. You can still see the pink a little through the primer. There isn't much texture on the vinyl so it looks like when I paint it will look pretty uniform.

My question is since the vinyl has already been painted once and I've primed the walls, should I get good coverage if I go ahead and paint or do I need another coat of primer?
JD
Site Admin

I think that is a hard question to answer for certain. I know that shellac type primers like Kilz Original does not hide real well, but it creates a good sealed layer to help quality paints to do the "hiding". Maybe going over these walls with a high end primer/paint like Behr Premium Plus Ultra will do it for you. I have found that reds of any shade are the hardest to cover.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Trudi

Quote: "I primed. You can still see the pink a little through the primer. "

Don't worry about the primer not totally covering the pink. The paint is supposed to do that. The primer's job, among other things. is to seal in stains, etc. and give the paint something "toothy" (for lack of a better word) to adhere to. Primer will not give the good coverage you get from paint.
crackur

Trudi wrote:Quote: "I primed. You can still see the pink a little through the primer. "

Don't worry about the primer not totally covering the pink. The paint is supposed to do that. The primer's job, among other things. is to seal in stains, etc. and give the paint something "toothy" (for lack of a better word) to adhere to. Primer will not give the good coverage you get from paint.
this is true, I tell you a pink and purple bedroom I painted would shine right through the primer but the paint covered it until you can't tell it was ever there, besides the before pictures
ladyarcheraime

Thanks for the advice. I've not had the time to paint yet but will post some pics when I'm done.
aspenmathew

I think that if you get another coat of primer it will give a great look for the paint color you want to paint your walls. And also the primer will make your wall color support well. It think that you should put another coat of primer before painting the walls.

:::The signature has been removed by moderators. Advertising links are not allowed in your signature.:::
joedirt63

i used kilz primer and paint productes, but accidently used a primer sealer called zingllers i think thats the splleing, i used this stuff on new walls i just put up and any other painted surface ,this stuff is great, it's about 20.00 a gal around here but it,s good stuff, 2 coats and it dries fast, almost looks like white satin finish, even fills sanding scratches .
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Lorne

Zinssers Bin Maybe? Zinssers.com
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
joedirt63

yes it's zinsser! sorry partly brain dead befor, that stuf worked good ,she likes dark colors and then want to change, to cream or a pale green, over brick red argggggggggg! this primer did it with 2 coats. thanks for the correction. :)
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me