Removing baseboard vinyl molding

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mary

Has anyone done this? How do you remove the gooey mastic from behind once you pull off the molding? The walls and cabinet are made of some kind of sheetrock.

Someone put in vinyl floor tiles and then put this vinyl baseboard molding down in our bathroom. I need to tear it all up as the tiles are cracked. I did find the original linoleum from when the doublewide was built in 1984 is still under those tiles. What's the best way to handle this? Can I just lay new "better" vinyl tiles as some have talked about on the board over the top of these. But I still need to know what to use to remove the mastic from the walls and cabinets after the base molding is removed. HELP!
Mary
DCDiva

You can ask at a paint store to see if there is anything that would remove it--I do not know of anything or any easy removal of it BUT I would put a layer of 1/4 inch luan plywood down on the floor--would stop all the shifting of the floor,great to adhere the vinyl floor to --and the area where the mastic is on the walls put up wood baseboards--they make all sizes or you can layer--like if the mastic goes up higher than the height of base board--you can even use some of the laun--it is paintable or stain or looks nice with just poly on it--I can send you photos of cabinets I made with this material--and add a small trim on top to frame it out--a photo will help give an idea of what is needed
Mary

Thanks for the info. Can you put the picture on here for all of us? I always like to see how someone has used materials. I'll check with the paint store. Sure would be nice to get the "goo" off those walls as I'm afraid to put wood over them until cleaned off since its in a bath and a good place for mold from moisture to form maybe.
Mary