Help with color of flooring & counter tops

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

artzypantz

I am planning to paint kitchen cupboards and walls.
I really have no style, just one of those "know what i like when i see it, and throw it in the mix" kind of people.
The walls will be a softer yellow, (but not real pale), and the cupboards will be very dark brown (super dark fudge).
I am having troubles with what color of flooring to use. I haven't picked a flooring type yet, as i want to find the right color & then see what materials have that color available.
I also need ideas with counter top colors as i plan to fit that in too!
Colors in the pic are pretty close to what i plan to use.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Tonia
PennylessZ28

I high, I'm trying to figure out colors as well. I spent a lot of time looking at the pictures on HGTV's website.

Maybe a dark countertop to go with the brown?

however, light wood floors would help the dark cabinets pop out. If you went with darker colors on the floor, it might just blend into the floor.

Just a thought. :D
Harry

Hi

We did the kitchen floor with sheet vinyl that looks like wood planks/boards.

The counter top is sort of a pewter with swirls. To me it goes good with the stainless appliances.

Cabinets are light maple.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
kristi

I like the idea of light wood Pergo-type flooring. It would show off both the yellow walls and the dark cabinets.
My own kitchen has darker wood-looking vinyl Pergo stuff and I'd sure like them to be lighter!
Good luck!
charliemom

I just purchased Better Homes & Gardens Interior Design software. It's really cool because you can create the room you want and modify the colors, styles and textures of furniture, cabinets, doors, etc. I don't have a lick of decorating style and I'm a "visual" type so it is great for me. I've re-created my bedroom and am trying to choose curtains and flooring. 8)
artzypantz

Hi Pennyless....i think your right about the light color flooring but not sure on counter tops. Good luck on your color search too! Love seeing all the pics you post!

Hi Harry......your so lucky to have light maple cabinets!! (drooling here!) Your right, sheet vinyl is really the way to go for me, as long as i can find the coloring i like. Unfortunately no stainless appliances for me, unless i hit the lottery i'm stuck with plain jane ones :?

Hi Kristi......I'll check out the pergo flooring, i'm not sure what it is....hardwood laminate? I'm not sure what color of light flooring to use. Its hard when your dealing with yellow, but you are right about it looking best with light walls and dark cabinets.

Hi charliemom.....i saw you post about this software before so i checked it out. I tried the free version on the web, & i am sure the real one is even better! Thats how i decided to go with the walls and cabinets, but it didn't help me with the flooring. I just couldn't get anything to look good together on computer.
Maybe i will have to get the real deal!

Thanks all and enjoy your holiday!
Tonia
PennylessZ28

artzypantz wrote:Hi Pennyless....i think your right about the light color flooring but not sure on counter tops. Good luck on your color search too! Love seeing all the pics you post!

Unfortunately no stainless appliances for me, unless i hit the lottery i'm stuck with plain jane ones :?
thanks.

As for those stainless appliances, try Craigslist. Also, bide your time. Sears and places have open box buys which are more than the 20% off sales they have. Thats a good deal, if you don't mind a floor model. And if you look, you can sometimes find a good deal.

I spent a two months finding deals on stainless for my mothers house. She was happy and didn't mind living with the old almond while we found the right stuff at the right prices.