Removing nicotine

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Carl

What is a very good cleaner for nicotine removal from everything. Thanks. Carl
Yanita

Hi Carl,

I personally like a product callled Krud Kleaner. It can be bought a Lowe's or Home Depot I think. Alot of others will say Simple Green, yet others ike Greased Lightening. I have used Krud Kleaner on everything from lipstick on the seat of my car to grease on the carpets! I have also used it in my shampooer to clean upholstery, it has never failed me yet!

I am going to move this to Decorating and Landscaping as it is not about repairs.

Thanks
Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Brenda OH

if you are talking walls before painting, oil based kilz tends to do well. Sherwin williams oil based primer is probably good too. You have to seal nicotine away, I washed walls in my apartment with tsp (back when you could get real tsp) saw no remaining stains, primed and painted, and 6 yrs or so, the stain is coming through the paint.

the bathroom is still sweating nicotine from the ceiling and walls when I take a shower, and it has been 9 years I have had the apartment and I don't smoke.... I haven't painted them yet, been busy doing renovation on mobile homes... lol

Brenda (OH)
flcruising

I'm one of the 'others' to say - Simple Green.

Several years ago when I room-matted with some family members, we all smoked inside the house. In order to get our deposit back when moving out, we determined to clean everything. This was a brand-new house before moving in, so we knew how bad the yellowing became from us smoking inside. Simple green in a pump sprayer with water was all it took to wash down the walls and make the yellow run. They required no scrubbing at all. Of course cabinets and such still required wiping.

Needless-to-say, I've been a non-smoker for a couple years now.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Claudia

I knew someone whose walls and ceiling looked like they were dripping with nicotine in the past. I tried Oxyclean powder mixed in warm water. It took it right off.
Denise

CLAUDIA! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I just read your post and immediately went and mixed up a solution of OxyClean and hot water......IT WOKS!! I have cleaned this vinyl covered wallboard for two years with everything I could think of....and this works like a miracle. The orange nicotine melts right off...we all owe you big time!
Claudia

LOL. So glad I could help!