Pennyless Bath Tub Spruce Up

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

PennylessZ28

I just bought my property, and I'm doing some quick renovations before I move into the home. Well, those plastic garden tubs are..... ugly.

But to save a dime, I had a rather, dare I say; ingenious idea.

In my field, I do a lot of home repairs, and I'm pretty sure I've made fun of home owners for things like this in the past. But here I am doing it myself.

I got one can of Plastic Spray paint and went to town on that tub.

Only question is, will it hold up.

Here you can see some progress and the difference a little white makes.

Almost finished bottom section.
Yanita

Wellll, LOL,

There is a real good chance that it will not hold up and then you are going to have a heck of a mess. Not to mentioned maybe a plugged drain when the paint peels.

Many of us had thoughts of this cheap, easy improvement. Last year Hubby and I bought this older (35 yo) double wide. Needless to say it has the ugggggly avocado green tubs. I had thought of using the Krylon spray paint for plastic surfaces. Emailed the company and even they did not recommend using the product for this purpose. In the archives you will find this thread, use the search feature and then type in Krylon paint or something to that effect, do not remember the title of the thread.

You do not say what your prep was or the type (brand) of paint you used. Let us know how it holds up under the rigorous scrubbing it gets during cleaning.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
kashton

Well Yanita. Maybe there won't be any scrubbing going on in that tub! Definitely won't be using an abrasive.

Don't worry. We all at one time or another make fun of or take short cuts. I have the hairspray thing to cover ceiling stains before painting, but hey, it does work! If I have to paint a ceiling (no stains) I always use a coat of drywall primer first. It helpes the paint come out even, instead of having lines.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
PennylessZ28

LoL, I had thought of using the term, gheto-nomics or jimmy rigging.

Yeah, this might not work, but this idea did come after one too many mountain dews.

I my folks had an old IRON tub, that they had a women come and sand, and then paint with some kind of epoxy. Their tub used to be pink. So I thought, hey what the heck.

I used an expoy spray paint by Duron.

I'm young still, I get to come up with ideas that aren't always the best. ;)

TRY FAIL ADJUST, success is a progression of failure.
kashton

Later in life you will start thinking of ways to make less work for yourself!

Too many Mountain Dews? That was another new thing when I was young! I like my Red wine, very well named "Kelly's Revenge". I don't know yet if there is really a revenge to it!

Kelly
Yanita

Yup, we all come up with ideas, regardless of our age. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Regardeless, let us know how it holds up.

I only drink several Mountain Dews if Jim Beam & ice has been added.... :wink:

~Yanita~
kashton

I don't know about the "Jim Bean" , but I seem to remember an "Iron Maiden" concert with a bottle of "Southern Comfort". I do believe that was the last time I drank that. I was in high school, standing on the back of a chair, three rows from stage. The big guy that was sitting on the chair got up. I met the band cause I was back stage with the paramedics! After that, I worked at the Saddle Dome in Calgary, just to meet the Bands, and Hockey players!
PennylessZ28

.... all the reasons I don't drink :?
kashton

All I can say is "Respect your elders". We all learn from our youth. I't isn't showing us pics of your finished bathroom. (Thats the first time I had the Op to say that!) Your still young. Finish your renos and be proud of your job. Every place you buy will be a new adventure.

Every job I do gives me ideas and teaches me a lesson!
LynnieCheb

You are probably o.k.

My hubby is an old body-work man and he said epoxy spray(especially the brand you used) is some pretty durable stuff as long as you leave it dry at least 72 hours. Evidently folks that restore Model A cars use it as their primer. So he said that doing a tub is not necessarily as silly as it may sound, and is actually a pretty good idea.

Learned something new - I thought it sounded silly at first!

My first post - hello everyone!

LynnieCheb
Yanita

Hi Lynnie,

Welcome to the site!

Look forward to your further contributions.

Epoxy paints are very good, and I have seen them work on steel tubs, seldom have I seen it hold up on plastic. It is a good test for those that want to try an easier cheaper method than replacement.

Hopefully Pennyless will keep us updated on how it does over the next year with regular use....and cleaning!

Have a great weekend!

~Yanita~
LynnieCheb

Yup, I pointed out that Model A's are seldom cleaned with Comet after they are painted. This led into a discussion about how often our tubs are cleaned with Comet.

*sigh*

Pennyless, hope you are more of a neatnik than I am!

LynnieCheb
PennylessZ28

I'm a germ-a-fob!

So we'll find out next month when I move in. Crosses Fingers.
Yanita

Good morning,

I will lock this topic off now as it is getting long.

Pennyless, keep us updated on how well this holds up to regular use and cleaning please.

~Yanita~