Did you lose any plants this past winter?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Sylvia

As most of you know, I redid my landscape after the basement because we had to take all the plants out for the project.

I replanted a LOT of new plants. The last deep freeze killed all my crepe myrtles (although they might not have made it anyway, they're a zone 6 plant but came with a guarantee so I got them...can't find the reciept though). All my roses are gone too.

The hydrengeas were supposed to bloom on new wood but the freeze killed the buds and they're starting again from the ground up.

How did everyone else fare?
JD
Site Admin

Yep, we lost crepe myrtles too. And we are in Fresno CA! We are a big orange growing area. The farmers lost 80% of their crop this year. Had to send most of their oranges off for juice. They do what they can, but things get critical if our temps drop to 28 (or more) for more than 4 hours. We lost a couple of rose plants too, but I think that is because I suck at gardening.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Well everything came back that was planted last year!

When we got this last freeze I did lose a few annuals, no biggie. I also lost my wisteria that was growing real nicely up the pergola on the back deck! That I was not happy about.

Thankfully my newly planted lace leaf red Japanese maple survived the freeze, there was a few weeks that I did not think it was going to come back.

The Camilla buds got frost bitten, so they bloomed only half heartedly this time around, last year they were beautiful.

Other than that all is fine and growing well at this time...lets see how they survive the summer heat!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
kashton

I was thinking of my plants this morning too. All great minds think alike!!!

I lost my Apple tree(Porch Apple) , Lemon balm(and it was in the greenhouse),Garlic chives, and my Lavender. My miniature White Rose survive without even being covered though. Isn't that strange.

So far, I think most of my other flowers survived. After they bloom, I'm gonna dig them up, and move them into different spots. They all seemed to get shuffled around when we did the front window.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

Hi,

Unfortunately I need to move a couple rose bushes, hostas, a Mimosa tree newly planted, and possibly several other plants to accommodate the new gas pack that it being installed next week.

For us this is not a good time to transplant, everything is in bloom, roses and all, and the heat has returned! :shock: Certainly hope I do not lose all these plants!

~Yanita~
kashton

HEAT? You mean from the SUN? Please don't talk about nice weather. It is okay here today, but still chilly. That bright thing in the sky hurts my eyes, but it will disappear again.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

LOL, yeah the sun! Put on sunglasses!

Current weather is 75*, humidity is 76% and slightly overcast.

~Yanita~ 8)
Sylvia

The mother's day fairy brought me money to go to the nursery today! I bought quite a few annuals (read lots and lots and LOTS)
Everything is in the ground or in it's container as I type. My dh put up my trellis and the morning glory seeds will be prepared tonight to plant tomorrow. :D
Maureen

Yep, I lost a few plants this year also. For us, it was due to the dry Winter. When you have a chunk of land, you just pray that the plants get water during the Winter here. All hoses and irrigation is shut down for the Winter.

We had our last really hard freeze about a week and a half ago. Killed most of the blooms. The lilacs we just on the verge, but they got shut down by the freeze. Too bad, I always look forward to the lilacs each Spring. We lost about 10 shrubs that were planted last year.

Right now, almost all the snow is off Peavine mountain. That's our time to start planting. Meaning, we 'normally' won't get another freeze until Late Oct, early Nov.

Losing 10 shrubs for us isn't really bad at all! We've still got the other 200 or so plants, trees and shrubs thriving!

Yanita, remember the hostas that you talked me into buying last year? I lost 2 of them, but the rest are coming back like gang busters! I never thought that hostas would do well in a desert environment. Wrong again! They are going to be so pretty this year!

I'll start planting a few annuals for color and the veggies in the next week or so.

I've had several Mother's Day presents so far, but my main present will be scarlet red maple for the front yard! I can't wait!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi Maureen,

Hostas are more durable then the nurseries will say! I would say you might of lost a few do to your cold winters, beef up the depth of your mulch, might help.

When your summer heat comes along just remember not to spray them with water in the hottest part of the day.

My Mother's Day was celebrated on Saturday. Both sons were at our home, and the grandkids, had alot of fun even though it rained off and on.

My granddaughters each came to the door with hanging basket's of new wave petunias...each bought in there favorite colors, a basket of white with other white flowers mixed in, one of purpley blue and one pink! Will hang these off the rafters of the pergola. The boys got me a beautiful Mandevilla vine!

Now I just got to talk Hubby into building the pergola over the front door entry so I have a place to plant the Mandevilla vine! :lol: Will also be planting Moon flower vines with it.

Hope all you Mom's and Grandmom's had a wonderful day!

~Yanita~