Legal Question Regarding Parks and decks???

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Willc

I live in a 50 home park where everyone owns thier home ,no rentals at all but we rent the lots.
Today almost everyone in here got a notice from the county to rebuild thier decks and stairs to code. When most of the homes where out in here that code did not exsit I know this for fact. How can they enforce us to bring this up to code ? You can not ride by a persons house and say it is not to current code and make them bring it up to code.I work in construction I know what am talking about. This is in the state of NC and Stanly county. A lot of people are not working in here and asking them to spend 300 or more right at Christmas is a bad thing to do I think. I will be calling the county inspector tommorow and discuss this with him.
Starting over remodel junkie
Greg

You are between a rock and a hard spot. There may be a loop hole that since you do not own the land, it is a rental. Rentals may fall into a different set of regulations as far as codes go.

Talk to the inspector, but remember that he can be easy to get along with or make your life totally miserable. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

I would echo the comment regarding the county inspector. Be very nice to him/her and if they says it must be done try to get a longer time line for completion.
Code violations can be sited and enforced by officials everywhere I know of so most likely same in your case. It is possible owners could modify existing structures with little more than sweat equity so maybe not that bad.
The bottom line is you are most likely dealing with safety issues that should definitely be addressed regardless of the cost.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
flcruising

He's either fishing for money, or the park owner has (pardon my language) pissed them off. The only way code enforcement could make you bring any existing structure up to current code, is if there were a remodel being performed, then all the new work would fall under the current code being enforced.

Sounds like he is wanting everyone to pull permits so they can collect a permit fee.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Yanita

That's N.C.! Did anyone give you specifics as to why your steps/decks are not to code...risers wrong, footings, railings not the right height, spindles not spaced properly?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg S

There is also the possibility that your park owner has approached the county and asked they do an inspection in the park. Park owners have been known to do this in a attempt to get some official help in bringing there property up to standards.
It is often easier for the park owner to get results this way rather than site owners for park rule violations.
From my experience there is very little point in trying to fight standards violations as they have the law on there side.
Easier to work with them than against them.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
forboystoo

I agree with Aaron...In CA the new installations have to go by current code but none of the older had to be retro fitted....Check w/HUD...

NC Greensboro Field Office
Asheville Building
1500 Pinecroft Road
Suite 401
Greensboro, NC 27407-3838

CHRISTIAN STEARNS
Field Office Director (336) 547-4001
Fax
(336) 547-4138
Greg S

Willc

I would be interested in hearing what you found out from the county regarding the legality of there request to bring your property up to code.