mice... how to get rid of them

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Brenda OH

other than look for openings, and put out bait below the home, and hints on discouraging mice?

I am getting a home back that had a complete under belly repair, but they had mice get in.

The home had good skirting also, but is that less important with mice, since they can squeeze through such small openings?

Brenda
Yanita

Hi,

I am going to move this to the off topic forum as it is not about repairs.

There are manypast threads on this...But, I am of the opinion to remove all the food sources and set traps. Using poisons only make them smell in the under belly or possibly duct work if they have manged to get in there.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lissa_678

Hi.

Provided you do not have allergies, I've found the best thing for getting rid of, or at least controlling, mice in your home is simply to share your home with a cat. My male cat was born in a local city dump before he was rescued and we adopted him...guaranteed he knows and is on the trail of any mouse before we even see any signs of it.

Good hunters...and they're cuddly! Win-win situation.

Good luck
Johanna Bruns

Best mousetrap bait I have ever used is chunky peanut butter. Hook a chunk inside the barrel.
The first time I had mice I bought 2 traps, set them out in the morning, and emptied traps 7 times before I left for work. They are suicidal about the stuff!

HTH
Johanna
I have the space and inclination to see what my imagination can help me build...
Greg S

Although poisons may have a side effect of smell, which I have never encountered, it is the only method I know of that is a wide range sure fire method of getting rid of the little pests.
Poisons generally kill all visitors in a wide area around a home where as traps or cats work on the bases of waiting for them to infest the home in order to catch the unlucky ones.
If you place poison under the home and provide a supply of water they generally never enter the home as they die before they have the opportunity.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
bmerri

Hi, we live in a mobile home too. I do have to cats in the house and plenty outside. I also bought some poison called boot hill. I get it at the local fertilizing company. The company that sprays and fertilizes the fields. It's really good stuff. You can buy it buy individual packets or by the bucket. I went around and threw some under the trailer and inside where I know my cats can't get to it. You don't have to open the bags, just put them in place. After the mice eat it they crawl outside I guess to get water and air. Never have ever had one die in the house and it has never hurt my cats.