Finishing Bathroom walls- Vinyl over Wood

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

safaribabe

Hi everyone

I have read this site for a few years now but never posted. I am in the process of fixing our bathroom. Previous owners had hung wall paper over the vinyl papered board. I removed the wall paper and am now down to the factory adhered vinyl over wood (maybe even mahogany?).

Anyway, some of the vinyl was pealed and the wood gouged. So I used wood fill on the gouged parts and then I have used High Hide Cover Stain Primer from Zinsser. It is a solvent based primer that is good for painting on vinyl. The pattern was so busy that i could not see where the problems on the wall are.

So now, on to how to fix the texture. The previous owners had removed the battons and used sheetrock tape to seal the gap. So in those areas, I have a raised bump going floor to ceiling.

I am considering either skim coating the entire wall or using a Venetian Plaster over the wall. Neither of which I have done but I am not too worried about the learning curve.

What do you think? I had to prime first before I could see some of the wall problems because the paper pattern is so busy (orange and green birds motif!). There are nicks here and there with the vinyl pealed a bit so I am thinking of using spackle to 'glue' it down. But if I go the skim coat rout or VP I won't need to.

If you skim coat, do you have to do the whole wall? The vinyl is very smooth so I am not worried about a skim coat surface compared to the vinyl surface. A slightly rougher brush roller would create a consistent texture I think.

TIA!
Yanita

Hi,

Sorry no one has given a response.

I am going to move this to the Decorating/Landscaping forum, please follow there.

Venetian plaster is expensive if you buy the actual products. Most folks buy premixed joint compound and do it that way.

There are many threads on the various techniques that other member shave used. Also check out some photo albums to see what others have done.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
flcruising

Am I understanding correctly that the walls are vinyl covered wood paneling?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
JD
Site Admin

A lot of older mobile homes had the vinyl clad luan paneling. Must of been early 70's because I see a lot of that panel with orange, green and flowers.

The skim coat may have a tendency to crack as the home settles and shifts. You may want to look at a product like Blue Max from Ames research. They sell a trowel grade version that could be used just like wall compound. It is primarily a roof and concrete product, but that may make it more forgiving on any movement your home may have. You could even prime the surface with their roof primer, called Super Primer. This is not so much a paint primer, as it dries clear. But it makes surfaces perfect for the Blue Max trowelable caulk. Sticks very well and allows for expansion and contraction.

I have not tried this on paneling yet, but working with the products on roofs makes me think it would work well. One down side is, you would be pretty much water proofing the interior walls, creating 2 vapor barriers. I do not know how this would affect moisture in the walls. But you would have the same effect using Kilz or BIN 123 on vinyl panels.

http://www.amesresearch.com/bluemax.htm

http://www.amesresearch.com/superprime.htm

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.