mosaic tile backsplash from broken glazed tiles

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mslindatx

I recently hired someone to build a backsplash from broken
tile using tiles of different sizes and colors. I chose tiles of differnt shades that matched closely to my new linoleum kitchen floor. The tiles were placed in a large box and shattered with a hammer. Then the tiles were placed like puzzle pieces onto a prepared wall over the adhesive. Once the tiles were all in place, a matching colored grout was spread over the entire backsplash. The excess grout was wiped away leaving the tiles to dry to a soft haze. The man hired to do the job stayed long enough to wipe away the hazy appearance from the tiles. Now, here's the part where my questions begin. What if anything do I use to seal or cover the entire backsplash to avoid damage to the grout and/or tiles. Should the grout be even with all edges of the tile? In other words, should the backsplash be smooth or have a textured finish? Someone please help me. I have never really done any type of home-
improvement project by myself. The handyman actually did a nice job on the backsplash up to the point that he quit. I would hate for it to be ruined before its even completed. Thanks in advance for any and all help I can get.
Linda
Greg

Linda, Hi & welcome. Smooth, textured, even uneven those are all personal preferances, what ever YOU like.
There are wipe on sealers avalable at ant homecenter or hardware store, they just wipe on with a cloth. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mslindatx

Thanks Greg. I'm going to homedepot tomorrow so I'll see what I can find. I'm anxious to get this completed so I can move on to the next project. This whole experience has been a little scary to say the least. :roll:
Trudi

Hey! You're not gonna just leave us here, drooling to see pics, are ya? :)